PreCalculus: 1590 = 20W + 10G + 40, 120 = G + W

June

Hey there!

I am a grade eleven highschool student taking precalculus 11 and I am stuck on a question. I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right area so I apologize ahead of time if I'm not. The photo below is the question Im stuck on. The following are what I've calculated thus far that build on this question
PERIMETER - 43.82
AREA OF FARM - 120
PRICE OF WATERMELONS PER M^2 - $51.00
PRICE OF GRAPES PER M^2 - $34.00

IMG_7582.jpg
Could some one please direct me as to how I would input area per crop? I'm so lost :(

Thank you!

You have been given two equations:

W + G = 120

20W + 10G + 90 = 1590

These are called, "a system of two equations". Did you learn a method in algebra known as the substitution method?

Try solving the first equation above for G. Then, substitute the result for symbol G, in the second equation above. Now you have an equation containing only symbol W. Solve for W. Use that value to find G.

Please post your work, if you get stuck. :cool:

W + G = 120

20W + 10G + 90 = 1590

These are called, "a system of two equations". Did you learn a method in algebra known as the substitution method?

Try solving the first equation above for G. Then, substitute the result for symbol G, in the second equation above. Now you have an equation containing only symbol W. Solve for W. Use that value to find G.

Hey there,

Firstly thank you for the guidance - can't believe I missed that all along! Secondly, I'm stuck. I did the substitution method to figure out the values but when I plug them into the original question W + G = 120 I get the value 90. Where am I making a mistake?

IMG_7589.jpg

Thanks Again!

W + G = 120

20W + 10G + 90 = 1590

Nevermind! I was putting the value I calculated for "w" into the "G" value. Ignore my previous post! Sorry for the spam, can't access my post so I cant go back and delete/edit it. Thank you so much for your help. I've shared this site with all my classmates :)

Nevermind! I was putting the value I calculated for "w" into the "G" value. Ignore my previous post! Sorry for the spam, can't access my post so I cant go back and delete/edit it. Thank you so much for your help. I've shared this site with all my classmates :)
Don't worry about it!

It is not a SPAM - no ham in it!

Moreover, other students will learn from your efforts (correct or not).

Congratulations on being diligent with your work - that's the way to learn mathematics......