Is anybody using the Microsoft Edge web browser, in this forum?

mmm4444bot

Super Moderator
I was away for a few months because my laptop died. (It died a violent death, in my driveway. A dumpster-side service quickly followed, at which I spoke a few choice words.)

Anyhoo, the new laptop came with Microsoft Edge, as the default browser. I'm beginning to sense that Microsoft Edge may not be compatible with this forum's software.

Many common keyboard shortcuts no longer work. Even the cursor-movement keys fail often. The browser keeps losing the focus, when switching between tabs. Also, I sometimes need to wait about three seconds (for my character to render on the screen), before typing the next character. I have even noticed text in my composition blinking, on occassion. There are other annoying changes, from how things used to work.

I know that Microsoft Edge is not compatible with some web sites; two of my banks have already warned me stop using this browser, when logging into their sites.

I'm curious to hear what other members may have experienced, using Microsoft Edge in this forum.

Hey Mark,

I normally use Firefox, but I do have MS Edge 42.17134.1.0 installed on my Windows 10 PC, and so I decided to fire it up and test the issues you mentioned in your post and I couldn't duplicate any of them. I'm composing this post using Edge.

I realize a one time test like this isn't a substitute for consistent daily use, but I wanted to at least give it a shot to see what I see. I would recommend giving Firefox and/or Vivaldi a try to see if they preform better for you.

I normally use Firefox, but I do have MS Edge 42.17134.1.0 installed on my Windows 10 PC, and so I decided to fire it up and test the issues you mentioned in your post and I couldn't duplicate any of them.
Thanks for taking the time. Which of the three v-Bulletin interfaces did you use, in the tests? Most of those issues are intermittent.

I've switched from the "full" WYSIWYG to the watered-down version, and things are much better. I'm also wondering whether HP or Microsoft has set additional options for keystroke analyzing that I haven't yet been able to discover and turn off.

After the interface change, I'm still seeing an extra line space inserted, as soon as I type a character after double spacing (i.e., hitting the enter key twice in a row results in triple spacing, as soon as I resume typing).

Also, I note that typing a space after three periods leads to their replacement with a horizontal ellipsis, so something is analyzing keystrokes.

I tested both the WYSIWYG and Source modes (just tried again)...I'm not getting any of the issues you've reported. :)

I tested both the WYSIWYG and Source modes (just tried again)...I'm not getting any of the issues you've reported. :)
Thank you. Well, hmmm. I have the same version of Edge that you used, and I'm sure your Win10 is current on updates. I'm using the lesser of the two WYSIWYG options. This makes me think that either some option is activated or maybe HP decided to augment the typing experience with their own built-in "features". I'll try installing Firefox, next.

I've been using Firefox. I changed to the lesser form of v-Bulletin's WYSIWYG interface. Things are much improved.

Three consecutive periods are no longer auto-changed to a horizontal ellipsis, like they are in Edge.

I have seen no instances of flickering characters.

SHIFT-CTRL-V pastes as plain text, as I expect. Edge won't respond to that shortcut.

I can return to the insertion point (where I left it), after changing tabs. Edge looses its focus.

I can insert symbols again, using the numeric keypad (eg: ALT-0176).

I don't have to wait thousands of milliseconds, to type the next character.

The only problem I've had in Firefox is the browser locking up, but that's only happened twice and both instances were at this forum. I still suspect that HP may have augmented/altered Windows, and I don't trust v-Bulletin, either, but I'm pleased that I can easily post in the forum again.