expansion calculations

sashton6

I was wondering if anyone would know how to calculate expansion rates of a oval stainless steel can. The can is 1.2mm thick 440 stainless steel.. The oval has two radius's one is 47mm and the other is 112.7mm. The distance between the two 47mm radius is 72.8mm.

I was wondering if anyone would know how to calculate expansion rates of a oval stainless steel can. The can is 1.2mm thick 440 stainless steel.. The oval has two radius's one is 47mm and the other is 112.7mm. The distance between the two 47mm radius is 72.8mm.

What kind of expansion are we talking about?

It is most likely a matter of calculating the volume.

I don't quite understand the dimensions. Probably need a picture.

How to calculate expansion of a ellipse when applying internal pressure

oval can.jpg
What kind of expansion are we talking about?

It is most likely a matter of calculating the volume.

I don't quite understand the dimensions. Probably need a picture.

That's a very strange picture! On what appears to be the longer axis of the oval, we see "47 mm radius" which would mean that the diameter is 2(47)= 94 mm. On what appears to be the shorter axis of the oval, we see "112.7 mm radius" which would mean that the diameter is 2(112.7)= 225.4 mm. But in the center is the legend "72.8 mm between radius points". Okay, if radius points are not points on the oval at the ends of those diameters, what does 'radius points" mean?

That's a very strange picture! On what appears to be the longer axis of the oval, we see "47 mm radius" which would mean that the diameter is 2(47)= 94 mm. On what appears to be the shorter axis of the oval, we see "112.7 mm radius" which would mean that the diameter is 2(112.7)= 225.4 mm. But in the center is the legend "72.8 mm between radius points". Okay, if radius points are not points on the oval at the ends of those diameters, what does 'radius points" mean?

I'm wondering if it represents either the "4-center" approximation to an ellipse by four circular arcs, or a description of an ellipse in terms of the radius of curvature (and centers of curvature?) at the vertices and co-vertices.

But it is also necessary to know what "expansion rate" is needed -- is this a question about thermal expansion, say? I suppose that is determined by the particular material, and not by the shape. If everything expands uniformly, then all dimensions should change by the same percentage.