Calculus with letters

Paty

Hi every one!

Some friend has proposed me to solve these calculus, but it has been a bit hard for me.

A little help would be appreciated.

Each letter corresponds to a number from 0 to 9:

Calc.jpg

Thanks in advance!

A nice problem but it has nothing to do with "Calculus".

I would start by noticing that, on the right, we have "DICI+ AHC= DEEC". Since there is no possible "carry" into the units place, I+ C= C tells us that I= 0. In the middle column, we have DAJ+ IBJ= IGI. So we have J+ J= I= 0. Either J= 0, which, assuming two different letters cannot represent the same digit, is impossible or J= 5 so that J+ J= 10 and the "1" is carried to the tens column. As Dr. Peterson said (Blast him! He keeps getting in just ahead of me! I started before he did but he types faster.) The leading "D" must be "1".

Last edited:
Hi every one!

Some friend has proposed me to solve these calculus, but it has been a bit hard for me.

A little help would be appreciated.

Each letter corresponds to a number from 0 to 9:

View attachment 9754

This not calculus! Maybe you meant "calculation". It is arithmetic, or at most algebra.

It could be described as 6 equations, which could be written with 10 variables and solved (with the constraint that the variables are distinct single digits).

Usually, however, this sort of puzzle with digits is solved by observation, finding one digit at a time. The first thing I see is that if JED + DAJ = DICI, then D must be 1, since nothing more than that could "carry" into the thousands place.

I would start by writing out the equations, and putting them all in the form of additions, which are easier to work with. If you want additional help, you might search for terms like "cryptarithm", which is one term for such puzzles.

What have you tried doing? Please show your work, as our goal is to work with you to help you learn how to solve the problem.