I need to simplify this equation ASAP

naaim7

[FONT=&quot]Need to simplify the first expression by multiplication, addition, division and subtraction. And then writing the resulting equation in terms of the A...I complex values.[/FONT]

8q8uSj_A.jpg

Last edited:
From where does this exercise come?

What have you tried so far?

I tried substitution, and I got an expression containing only Q, g^2, and t.

Need Workings

From where does this exercise come?

What have you tried so far?

I tried substitution, and I got an expression containing only Q, g^2, and t.

I have not tried this as I dont think I can do this.. HELP

I have not tried this as I dont think I can do this.. HELP

Please show some attempt, so we can see what sort of difficulty you are having, and perhaps also figure out what the goal really is. That's also part of the reason for asking for more information about the context. We need to know, on one hand, that the problem is well-enough defined to be able to say it can be done, and on the other, what parts of the algebra you think you can't do.

When you say, "in terms of the A...I complex values", do you mean that these are complex numbers, or that you want the result only in terms of A through I without regard to how they are defined, or do you mean in terms of those other variables in terms of which they were given?

If I understand the goal, there are several ways you might approach it. One is to note that, for example, A/B appears several times, so you might first simplify A/B to (C/Q)^(g^2), and then substitute it into the given expression; and likewise with other fractions (though most don't work out as nicely -- so much so that I'd want to check whether everything you gave is correct). Another approach is to notice that many pairs of fractions have common factors in their denominators after substitution, so you might just substitute and find the LCD's.

In looking for things to do, I notice a couple issues I hadn't seen. One is that you appear to be using C in two different ways! Another is that the t's look almost as if they were function arguments, rather than being multiplied; I don't think you'd mean that, but I'd normally have written t_w * C^(g^2) rather than
C^(g^2)(t_w).

Please show some attempt, so we can see what sort of difficulty you are having, and perhaps also figure out what the goal really is. That's also part of the reason for asking for more information about the context. We need to know, on one hand, that the problem is well-enough defined to be able to say it can be done, and on the other, what parts of the algebra you think you can't do.

When you say, "in terms of the A...I complex values", do you mean that these are complex numbers, or that you want the result only in terms of A through I without regard to how they are defined, or do you mean in terms of those other variables in terms of which they were given?

If I understand the goal, there are several ways you might approach it. One is to note that, for example, A/B appears several times, so you might first simplify A/B to (C/Q)^(g^2), and then substitute it into the given expression; and likewise with other fractions (though most don't work out as nicely -- so much so that I'd want to check whether everything you gave is correct). Another approach is to notice that many pairs of fractions have common factors in their denominators after substitution, so you might just substitute and find the LCD's.

In looking for things to do, I notice a couple issues I hadn't seen. One is that you appear to be using C in two different ways! Another is that the t's look almost as if they were function arguments, rather than being multiplied; I don't think you'd mean that, but I'd normally have written t_w * C^(g^2) rather than
C^(g^2)(t_w).

[FONT=&quot]"Another approach is to notice that many pairs of fractions have common factors in their denominators after substitution, so you might just substitute and find the LCD's." this is better suited. But you can try the first one too since I'm not sure what you mean.Lastly, t_0, t and t_w represents different types of time variable so C or Q with (t/t_0 or t_w) means C or Q as a point in those times.[/FONT]

I have not tried this …

I dont think I can do this …
"this" meaning substitution?

You have not used substitution, to simplify an expression?

For example, we could substitute \(\displaystyle \dfrac{CG}{DI}\) for the given factor \(\displaystyle \dfrac{\frac{G}{D}}{\frac{I}{C}}\).

By the way, when I tried earlier, I interpreted your symbol C to represent the same number everywhere it appears.

I also interpreted your format \(\displaystyle x^{y}(t)\) to denote that x represents a base, y represents an exponent, and the parentheses indicate multiplication.

[FONT=&quot]"Another approach is to notice that many pairs of fractions have common factors in their denominators after substitution, so you might just substitute and find the LCD's." this is better suited. But you can try the first one too since I'm not sure what you mean.Lastly, t_0, t and t_w represents different types of time variable so C or Q with (t/t_0 or t_w) means C or Q as a point in those times.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]it's basically sort of an economics problem. G^2 means industry and Z^2 means firm. C is output and Q is profit.

t [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]represent base year t_0, t is any year between base year and t_w which is final year.[/FONT]

"Another approach is to notice that many pairs of fractions have common factors in their denominators after substitution, so you might just substitute and find the LCD's." this is better suited. But you can try the first one too since I'm not sure what you mean.Lastly, t_0, t and t_w represents different types of time variable so C or Q with (t/t_0 or t_w) means C or Q as a point in those times.

it's basically sort of an economics problem. G^2 means industry and Z^2 means firm. C is output and Q is profit.

t
represent base year t_0, t is any year between base year and t_w which is final year.

So the C and G are functions of t, and t0 and tw are two values of t? What do you mean by raising a function to a power? Do you just mean, say, [C(tw)]^(g2)?

You might find it helpful to think of C(tw) et al as just six different constants rather than writing them as functions: C, C0, Cw, G, G0, Gw. So, for example, you'll be replacing A with Cw^(g2).

But it is now very unclear what the g2 or z2 as an exponent means. Are you saying that it is not really a number at all, but something more like a subscript?

I don't think you've answered my concern that you are using C both as a function of t and as one of the nine variables in the main expression; I assume they are not meant to be the same thing, but you'll have to be all the more careful with it.

You MUST show some work in order to move forward here.

Last edited by a moderator:
[FONT=&quot]… t_0, t and t_w represents different types of time variable so C or Q with (t/t_0 or t_w) means C or Q as a point in those times.
I don't understand that meaning, and I suspect the ratio t/t0 is a typo.

[FONT=&quot]… sort of an economics problem …[/FONT]
Sort of?

Earlier, I asked where you got the exercise. Is it an assignment from a math course?

I do not understand the presentation. Please post images of the materials you were given.

If you're not taking a math course, please tell us why you're working on this.

[FONT=&quot]G^2 means industry and Z^2 means firm. C is output and Q is profit.[/FONT]
Please do not use both upper- and lower-case letters for the same thing. The presentation is challenging enough as is.

The notation \(\displaystyle C^{g^2}(t)\) represents some number that is a function of time t, so Cindustry also represents this number? If this interpretation is correct, what does symbol C (all by itself) represent?

Again, it will save a lot of time, if you provide us with the original exercise statement and instructions you were given.