MOM NEEDS HELP in geometry: solve for x if AU = 20x + 108, UB = 273, BC = 703, UV = 4

Ckeesee

My son came to me with this:
Given that the two triangles are similar, solve for x if AU = 20x + 108, UB = 273, BC = 703, UV = 444, AV = 372 and AC = 589

I have no idea where to begin other than to solve for x and i did that? Can someone please show me the steps

Given that the two triangles are similar, solve for x if AU = 20x + 108, UB = 273, BC = 703, UV = 444, AV = 372 and AC = 589

I have no idea where to begin other than to solve for x and i did that? Can someone please show me the steps

Unfortunately, given only this information this exercise is impossible. However, judging from the phrase "the two triangles", I can infer that there was probably a picture or diagram given along with the problem text. Can you please include said picture/diagram? Thank you.

I tried to reconstruct a drawing that would have those segments, but I can't see any way to have any similar triangle. Even with a picture, the problem should explicitly state what the triangles are, so as to indicate the appropriate correspondence.There may be triangles UAV and BCV, for example, but those are not similar. Any additional information you can give us, especially a picture or full description of the figure, will help.

But the main idea should be to use the similarity to write an equation (probably in the form of a proportion), and then solve that for x.

Well, it seems our original poster here has vanished into the aether, never to be heard from again. However, a user on another forum (possibly the same person as OP?) has posted this exact same exercise. There, they actually included the picture along with the problem statement. As such, they've already received a very nice hint on the problem, with more help perhaps to come in the future.
It's amazing how much a picture helps.