Schroedinger equation symbols

Vol

In the Schroedinger equation, what does the vertical bar and angle bracket mean? Is it from linear algebra?

In the Schroedinger equation, what does the vertical bar and angle bracket mean? Is it from linear algebra?
There are many representations of Scroedinger's equation. Can you please post the equation so that we can see the context?

I think you are asking about the |Psi> seen here. It would be nice if Wikipedia could mention what it means! I had to do a little searching to be reminded that it is a "ket" from "bra-ket notation", representing a vector.

Vol

Oh, OK. So it is from linear algebra. I'll have to review linear algebra. I don't remember a thing. Thanks guys.

Actually the notation used in Linear Algebra can be quite different from the notation used in quantum mechanics- though they are both talking about basically the same concept. In Linear Algebra the "inner product" of two vectors, u and v, is represented by <u, v> or sometimes (u, v). In quantum mechanics, what is essentially the "inner product" of two density functions, f and g, is represented by <f | g>. That is normally defined (if I remember correctly) as \(\displaystyle \int f(x)\overline{g}(x) dx\) where "x" is the position variable, the integration is taken over all space, and "\(\displaystyle \overline{g}(x)\)" is the complex conjugate of the function g(x).

Actually the notation used in Linear Algebra can be quite different from the notation used in quantum mechanics- though they are both talking about basically the same concept. In Linear Algebra the "inner product" of two vectors, u and v, is represented by <u, v> or sometimes (u, v). In quantum mechanics, what is essentially the "inner product" of two density functions, f and g, is represented by <f | g>. That is normally defined (if I remember correctly) as \(\displaystyle \int f(x)\overline{g}(x) dx\) where "x" is the position variable, the integration is taken over all space, and "\(\displaystyle \overline{g}(x)\)" is the complex conjugate of the function g(x).
You remember correctly, grasshopper.

-Dan