Cell - protein level ratio

Charlie20

Hi, I am looking at protein concentration levels of cells from different animals. Due to the nature of the cells I have a variety of different amounts of these cells per animal. Could you tell me the best calculation to get all these cells to a uniform number and a similar calculation for the protein concentration so that it will be indicative of the different cell number, then I can compare all the animals cell protein levels. Thanks

Hi, I am looking at protein concentration levels of cells from different animals. Due to the nature of the cells I have a variety of different amounts of these cells per animal. Could you tell me the best calculation to get all these cells to a uniform number and a similar calculation for the protein concentration so that it will be indicative of the different cell number, then I can compare all the animals cell protein levels. Thanks

I would expect a "concentration" to be independent of the number of cells, so that would be all you need. As a ratio, it should already account for differences in quantity.

Maybe you need to tell a little more about what data you have, and how protein concentration is measured/calculated.

Hi,

I am looking at protein concentration levels from a certain gene, using an ELISA. However, the number of cells per animal that went in to the ELISA are completely different. The reason I need to 'normalise' the number of cells, and then adjust the protein concentration accordingly, is, I am comparing animals with and without a SNP, and thus, I need to be able to tell whether there are different levels of protein because of the SNP, as opposed to the different numbers of cells that went in.

Hi,

I am looking at protein concentration levels from a certain gene, using an ELISA. However, the number of cells per animal that went in to the ELISA are completely different. The reason I need to 'normalise' the number of cells, and then adjust the protein concentration accordingly, is, I am comparing animals with and without a SNP, and thus, I need to be able to tell whether there are different levels of protein because of the SNP, as opposed to the different numbers of cells that went in.

I'm sorry, but I don't know enough about the process to see why a concentration you measure would vary with the number of cells. When you find a concentration, you divide the amount of [protein] by the amount of [stuff containing it], so the "amount of stuff" is canceled out. That's the whole point of calculating concentrations or densities. What is different here?

You may need to go to a site either for this particular technique, or for science in general. I see questions about this, for example, at researchgate.net, which might be appropriate.