Nice problem to consider: 100 passengers waiting to board a plane that has 100 seats.

Steven G

Elite Member
There are 100 passengers waiting to board a plane that has 100 seats.

Each passenger is assigned a seat (prior to boarding).

The 1st passenger takes a seat at random.

The next 98 passengers board one at a time. They either take their assigned seats if unoccupied or if occupied takes a seat at random.

State which seats will be available for the 100th passenger along with the probability.

BTW, since Dennis is a know cheater I need to state that he and I spoke about this problem so he knows the solution.

Last edited:
Did you not post that a few weeks ago?
And (if I remember correctly) answer was 50% of time?

Did you not post that a few weeks ago?
And (if I remember correctly) answer was 50% of time?
I do not think that I posted this problem before. I did message you about this problem. Yes, the answer is 50%

I do not think that I posted this problem before. I did message you about this problem. Yes, the answer is 50%
State which seats will be available for the 100th passenger along with the probability.
The answer does not make sense!!

The answer does not make sense!!
That answer is a result of what Denis and I chatted about previously. I admit that his answer is incomplete as he never stated what the seat numbers would be available to the 100th passenger.

More importantly try doing the problem as it will be fun.

There are 100 passengers waiting to board a plane that has 100 seats.

Each passenger is assigned a seat (prior to boarding).

The 1st passenger takes a seat at random.

The next 98 passengers board one at a time. They either take their assigned seats if unoccupied or if occupied takes a seat at random.

BTW, since Dennis is a know cheater I need to state that he and I spoke about this problem so he knows the solution.
It was not clear to me that a passenger must take the assigned seat (other than the first passenger) - if available.

After looking at the solution given at Google - I realized the implied "must" in the problem.