Calc summer assignment help: meaning of slope of linear regression equation

artlover789

15330537518345265127250045322650.jpg

My teacher is really picky and I wanted help with #3. I didn't know exactly how to word my answer. Also if there is anything else wrong I would really appreciate someone pointed out. Thank you so much!

View attachment 9845

My teacher is really picky and I wanted help with #3. I didn't know exactly how to word my answer. Also if there is anything else wrong I would really appreciate someone pointed out. Thank you so much!

If the slope is zero (0), what does it mean?
If the slope is positive, what does it mean?

Don't ever refer to "dots". A graph (or chart) is a means to display or communicate data.

Last edited:
If you have Windows, using MSPaint to rotate images is super easy.

Also, please use the Preview Post button, to proofread posts before submitting them (as noted in the forum guidelines).

Thank you! :cool:

Your teacher may have a preferred way to word it, which we wouldn't know without access to what you have been told. Have you seen an example of how your teacher expresses this? If so, tell us.

I would not say "for the given data", because the regression equation does not represent the actual data, but a simplified function for which the data might be an approximation with some random error added in. Rather, you might be expected to say something like, "if a puppy's growth followed the linear equation, ... ". Again, you have probably read or heard some wording that expresses this the way your teacher prefers.

Otherwise, what you say is okay; I might not bother mentioning x and y explicitly, but just the puppy's age and so on. I might say, "... its weight would increase by 1.55 lb per week".

Another possible way to express the idea would be something like, "The puppy's weight typically increases by 1.55 lb each week". But that isn't quite what it really means, just what you might say to someone who doesn't know statistics to give a general idea.