Need help finding a radius

jbjaidee

Thanks again!:D I have solved all of my problems, but one is giving me some issues:

-78+j56=

I can solve for angle theta, but not the radius. I think there is some logical reason for this but not sure.:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks again!:D I have solved all of my problems, but one is giving me some issues:

-78+j56=

I can solve for angle theta, but not the radius. I think there is some logical reason for this but not sure.:confused:

Also, they are asking me to construct phasor diagrams for some separate problems using the graphical method for e,f, and g. What does that mean?

Thanks
Can you please show us - how you did solve for angle theta? We can follow your chain-of-thoughts and show you the process for calculating radius?

-78+j56=

In one of my answers I demonstrated how to find r from x and y using the Pythagorean theorem, r = sqrt(x^2 + y^2). Are you saying you tried that and something went wrong? We'll have to see what you did and what you got in order to diagnose the problem.

Yes, I did use the formula you gave me. But I was getting a domain error on my calculator. I removed the exponents and just multiplied the numbers. Here is what I got:

96∠-36°=

Yes, I did use the formula you gave me. But I was getting a domain error on my calculator. I removed the exponents and just multiplied the numbers. Here is what I got:

96∠-36°=
If you put in the following expression exactly (including parentheses) - you will get correct response:

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle{\sqrt{(-78)^2 +56^2}}\)

I suspect - you did not enclose -78 with a pair of parentheses.

96∠-36°=

I think I mentioned the importance of parentheses when you do this. I asked you to show your work, not just your answer, but I think what you did was sqrt(-78^2 + 56^2), which is wrong.

The error is that "-78^2" means -(78^2) = -6084 because the negative is done before the square. To make the calculator do what you want, you need to explicitly tell it that you want to square the number -78: sqrt((-78)^2 + 56^2). See what you get that way. Actually, when I do these, I know that the negative sign will have no effect because of the squaring, so I don't even bother typing it; I just enter sqrt(78^2 + 56^2). That avoids the chance of a mistake.

Now, what you should have done when you got a domain error (which means it is trying to find the square root of a negative number) is to try again, one step at a time. You would square -78, and either see that the calculator gives a negative result and see what is wrong, or get the positive result you know you should get, add that to the square of 56, and take the square root. When a calculation is complicated, I commonly do it both ways (entering it all at once, and doing one step at a time) to see if I might be entering something wrong. If I get the same answer both times, I'm confident.

Your answer is correct, however (assuming you are expected to round to the nearest integer). I suppose you didn't really mean what you said, "I removed the exponents and just multiplied the numbers"; rather, perhaps you did the squaring by multiplying -78*-78. That's fine, though not necessary.

Well I did exactly how you said.

Sqrt((-78)^2+56^2

And I got the correct answer of 96. Thanks, I knew it was something simple like a parentheses.

Well I did exactly how you said.

Sqrt((-78)^2+56^2

And I got the correct answer of 96. Thanks, I knew it was something simple like a parentheses.
And yet you missed parenthesis again! That should have been written as:

Sqrt((-78)^2+56^2)

​Some calculators allow you to skip the last closing parenthesis - but that is a dangerous habit to form.

Last edited by a moderator: