Math "Work" Problem: It takes 6 contractors 168 hours to refresh 197 devices.

ermac29828

Math "Work" Problem: It takes 6 contractors 168 hours to refresh 197 devices.

Can someone please help me figure out this question along with how you did it? Appreciate your time and help greatly!!

It takes 6 contractors 168 hours to refresh 197 devices

How long does it take one contractor to refresh one device?......

1. What happens with required time when instead of N people only 1 person is doing the same job?
2. What happens with required time when instead of M items the same number of people need to process only 1 item?

Since you posted this to "Arithmetic", you haven't yet taken pre-algebra or algebra. So let's work with just arithmetic.

If one contractor works for 168 hours, how many man-hours is that? (Hint: (1 worker)*(168 hours) = 168 man-hours)

If two contractors work for 168 hours each, how many man-hours is that? (Hint: (2 workers)*(168 hours) = ...?)

So if six contractors worked (in parallel, I guess) for 168 hours each, how many man-hours is this? (Hint: Use the same process as above.)

If it takes that many man-hours to refresh 197 devices, then how many man-hours are required to refresh just one device? (Hint: Divide.)

If you get stuck, please reply showing your work and answers to the above step-by-step instructions. Thank you! ;)

Can someone please help me figure out this question along with how you did it? Appreciate your time and help greatly!!

There are many ways to solve problems like this, even if you ignore algebra.

My favorite is to change the statement step by step.

How long would it take 6 contractors to refresh one device (assuming they have to be done one after another, and each takes the same amount of time)? 197th as long as 197 devices: ___ .

How long would it take one contractor to refresh one device (assuming she has to do the 6 jobs one after the other? 6 times as long as 6 contractors: ___ .