Functions problem from Oxford University admissions paper

Jamesmaths

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm really struggling to understand how it comes about that …

"for -1 ≤ x ≤ 1 we have -1 ≤ x² -1 ≤ 0"

Where does this statement come from?
From a little analysis. ;)

If x is between -1 and 1, then x^2 is between 0 and 1. (Think of the graph of y = x^2)

So we have 0 ≤ x^2 ≤ 1

Subtract 1 from each part

(0 - 1) ≤ (x^2 - 1) ≤ (1 - 1)

-1 ≤ x^2 - 1 ≤ 0

You could also jump to this result, by visualizing the graph of y = x^2 - 1

Look at the range of x^2 - 1, when the domain is [-1, 1] :cool:

Ahh ok great, thank you so much! I've been pondering this problem for days!

The other thing I'm unclear about is from the explanation (in the official solutions):

For x in the interval −1 ≤ x ≤ 1, we have −1 ≤ x² - 1 ≤ 0. For t in the range −1 ≤ t ≤ 0 we can see from the graph that f(t) = t + 1. So for −1 ≤ x ≤ 1 we have f(x² −1) = (x² −1) + 1 = x²

How do those values (that as you've just explained to me come from the range of the curve y=x² between -1 and 1), then dictate the relevant x interval of f(t)?

Does the statement "For t in the range -1 ≤ t ≤ 0" use the word range in a confusing way? Meaning interval?

If so, then I'm right in thinking that those y values determine the relevant x values for the next step of the solution?

For x in the interval −1 ≤ x ≤ 1, we have −1 ≤ x² - 1 ≤ 0. For t in the range −1 ≤ t ≤ 0 we can see from the graph that f(t) = t + 1. So for −1 ≤ x ≤ 1 we have f(x² −1) = (x² −1) + 1 = x²

How do those values (that as you've just explained to me come from the range of the curve y=x² between -1 and 1), then dictate the relevant x interval of f(t)?

Does the statement "For t in the range -1 ≤ t ≤ 0" use the word range in a confusing way? Meaning interval?

If so, then I'm right in thinking that those y values determine the relevant x values for the next step of the solution?

The integral tells us the interval in x, the domain of x2 - 1. The corresponding range, as stated, is −1 ≤ x² - 1 ≤ 0. This is the input to f; so we are taking −1 ≤ t ≤ 0 as the domain for this function. So, it is not entirely wrong to call this a range rather than a domain, but that latter would perhaps have been clearer (since t is being used), but they are probably using "range" in the broader sense as you suggest. (In principle, it isn't any more confusing than the context itself, since we have to pay close attention to two functions at once, and would wonder which function's domain or range is being talked about regardless!)

Now, you would be better not using x and y as you did above; that is a misuse. I think you are using "x" to refer to the domain of either function, which in the case of f are values of t, not of x; and you are using "y" to refer to any range, even when the variable used is t. This is dangerous!

I'd say the whole problem is a test of your ability to juggle two functions and, in effect, three variables, without dropping any.

Now, you would be better not using x and y as you did above; that is a misuse. I think you are using "x" to refer to the domain of either function, which in the case of f are values of t, not of x; and you are using "y" to refer to any range, even when the variable used is t. This is dangerous!

I'd say the whole problem is a test of your ability to juggle two functions and, in effect, three variables, without dropping any.

Thanks. Noted about the x and y thing!

It just seems such a weird operation.

Would you follow me through a similar problem to check I've got the idea?

Let's say f(x) (the illustrated function) this time is |x| + 1 and the integral is f(sin(x)) between 0 and pi.

Then we take the range of sin(x) to be between 0 and 1, hence we're interested in the initial function |x| + 1 over the domain 0 to 1 only where f(x) = x + 1, meaning we integrate sin(x) + 1 between pi and 0.

Even if this is correct I get the feeling I'm still missing some important idea behind it, it just doesn't seem very intuitive.

Thanks. Noted about the x and y thing!

It just seems such a weird operation.

Would you follow me through a similar problem to check I've got the idea?

Let's say f(x) (the illustrated function) this time is |x| + 1 and the integral is f(sin(x)) between 0 and pi.

Then we take the range of sin(x) to be between 0 and 1, hence we're interested in the initial function |x| + 1 over the domain 0 to 1 only where f(x) = x + 1, meaning we integrate sin(x) + 1 between pi and 0.

Even if this is correct I get the feeling I'm still missing some important idea behind it, it just doesn't seem very intuitive.

Yes, you are correct.

There are other ways to think about these problems, but the main idea as they are presenting them is that when a function is defined piecewise, and you can determine that you only need one "piece" of it, you can simplify the problem by making that replacement.

For your new problem, an alternate way to present it would be as \(\displaystyle \displaystyle \int_0^{\pi}\left(|\sin x| + 1\right)dx\), which simplifies to \(\displaystyle \displaystyle \int_0^{\pi}\left(\sin x + 1\right)dx\) because the sine is positive between the limits of integration.

The thing that seems strange to me is how a "vertical" value can map to a "horizontal" interval. I can't see why that should happen! Is there another way of thinking about it?

The thing that seems strange to me is how a "vertical" value can map to a "horizontal" interval. I can't see why that should happen! Is there another way of thinking about it?

I'm not sure what you mean by that, but if you are asking how the output of one function can become the input of another, that's just a matter of "plumbing" -- we can do whatever we want to the output! It's not "mapping"; we're just choosing to connect them -- composition of functions.

Can you explain more what you are objecting to, and why this seems wrong to you?

I'm not sure what you mean by that, but if you are asking how the output of one function can become the input of another

Ok first let me just get straight what we mean by the output of one function becoming the input of another as pertaining to the present problem! So I'm thinking we have the range of f(x^2 - 1) being the "output", that is, outputting values between -1 and 0; and then these values become an "input" in the sense that they're used to determine the interval over which we need to then consider the illustrated function (essentially 1 - |x|), this interval being, accordingly, -1 to 0. Is that correct usage of the term input? It seems a little skewiff, since we're not technically putting those values back in, but merely referring to them for guidance during the subsequent stage of the operation. That's what I meant by "mapping", that the range -1 to 0 "reveals" the relevant domain of the illustrated function.

The way you emphasize the word "choosing" might just get me out of this rut I'm in, I get the feeling I've formed an inaccurate conception that I'm stubbornly clinging to; I'd been imagining the whole operation being sort of deterministic.

I suppose what I "object" to is the way that the sequence of stages of the whole operation seem kind of disjointed, awkward and counter-intuitive, but I guess I'm just not understanding the underlying ideas deeply enough.

I'm afraid I can't very well pinpoint the part I don't understand, I'm hoping you might be able to pick something out from what I've said here as at least a clue to the root of my misconception! If not, thanks anyway for trying!

Last edited:
Ok first let me just get straight what we mean by the output of one function becoming the input of another as pertaining to the present problem! So I'm thinking we have the range of f(x^2 - 1) being the "output", that is, outputting values between -1 and 0; and then these values become an "input" in the sense that they're used to determine the interval over which we need to then consider the illustrated function (essentially 1 - |x|), this interval being, accordingly, -1 to 0. Is that correct usage of the term input? It seems a little skewiff, since we're not technically putting those values back in, but merely referring to them for guidance during the subsequent stage of the operation. That's what I meant by "mapping", that the range -1 to 0 "reveals" the relevant domain of the illustrated function.

The way you emphasize the word "choosing" might just get me out of this rut I'm in, I get the feeling I've formed an inaccurate conception that I'm stubbornly clinging to; I'd been imagining the whole operation being sort of deterministic.

I suppose what I "object" to is the way that the sequence of stages of the whole operation seem kind of disjointed, awkward and counter-intuitive, but I guess I'm just not understanding the underlying ideas deeply enough.

I'm afraid I can't very well pinpoint the part I don't understand, I'm hoping you might be able to pick something out from what I've said here as at least a clue to the root of my misconception! If not, thanks anyway for trying!

This should be very helpful; at least it gives me more to talk about. Some of this will be about using words right, because that is a common stumbling block, but also because I have to make sure we understand one another. I'll mostly be just restating what you are saying, with some corrections or clarifications that may or may not scratch your itch.

First, the words "input" and "output", while not quite technical terms, are useful. For me, the input of a function is a specific value you put in, and the output is a specific value that results. So the output of f(x^2 - 1) is not the range (which is the set of all output values), but the number that, in this problem, will turn out to be x^2.

I want to give a name to x^2 + 1 to make it easier to talk about it; let's say g(x) = x^2 - 1. So the integrand is a composite function, f(g(x)). The variable of integration is x; that is used as input to the function g, producing g(x) = x^2 - 1; then that is put into the function f, which in effect means we let t = x^2 - 1, and then put this number t into the function f shown on the graph.

Now we just follow the numbers -- "plumbing", as I said, because composition of functions is like piping the output of one machine to the input of the next. For the integral, x runs from -1 to 1; that's the input of g. For those inputs (the domain of g), we find that the output of g is between -1 and 0 (the range of g). In this problem the output of g is fed into the input of f. (I emphasized the word "chosen" because this occurs merely because that's the way they wrote this problem, not something general.) So we now have numbers between -1 and 0 going into f. But we find that for those inputs, f is defined by f(t) = t + 1. Here I'm using t rather than x, just as the author of the solution did, to avoid confusion between two uses of "x". (Note that the name of the input variable can be changed at will; it's just a "place-holder".)

We have this:

(x) --> g --> (t) --> f --> (integrand)

That is, the variable of integration, x, is processed by the function I'm calling g, producing an intermediate value I'm calling t, which then goes into the function f, whose output is what we are integrating.

So now, carrying out the composition by replacing t with g(x), we have

f(x^2 - 1) = (x^2 - 1) + 1

which simplifies to x^2. That's what the integrand is; the rest is just calculus. (Yes, the algebra and the juggling of multiple functions and variables are the hard part.)

Now, there was no need to mention it, but we can write a piecewise formula for all of f:

\(\displaystyle f(t)=\left\{\begin{matrix}
0;\quad -2\le t\le -1\\
t+1;\quad -1\lt t\le 0\\
1-t;\quad 0\lt t\le 1\\
0;\quad 1\lt t\le 2
\end{matrix}\right.\)

In general, you would have to find the intervals in x for which t = g(x) is in each interval of this definition, and replace f with its appropriate formula in each. What has happened in this problem is that the entire range of g (that is, all output values for the allowed inputs) lies within the interval [-1,0], so only the second formula is ever needed.

A few comments about what you said, which is probably mostly right.

You said, "we're not technically putting those values back in". What we're doing is putting them into the next function, not back into the same function. That may be part of your problem. We're just moving forward through the plumbing, step by step. I sometimes draw the plumbing diagram I showed above, to help me keep track of things.

You said, "the sequence of stages of the whole operation seem kind of disjointed, awkward and counter-intuitive". That may be because you are expecting something routine, when as I've said, the problem is designed to make you think at each step, not just do things you've done over and over. It's intentionally different, to make sure you are not just following a rut, but are focusing your attention on the meaning of each thing you do. Again, this is in the design of the problem, not in the nature of the math. It's like an obstacle course where you have to go slowly and watch your feet to avoid tripping.

But if you can get through it (getting up off the ground a few times and starting over), you know better where your feet are, even when you're running straight.

Does that help at all?

Yes that was amazing to me, thank you so much! I'd almost given up hope of ever coming to understand that problem.

It was strange because that's the first time I've ever come gradually to an understanding of something mathematical, normally it's a "click", lights on moment, but here I read over the whole of your last post twice, and it kind of made me smile, but I still wouldn't say I'd understood it at that point. Then I came back to it later and read over it again and now it's all perfectly clear. I understand functions a lot better now, as you say I've learned not to trip over the obstacles!

I'll definitely be using this forum again and I'll recommend it.