Thought I had it with "gratis" : is = is
but can't fully explain "grat", except for rat = snitch

Aha!

Snitch in g is free = g rat is

The snitch (rat) is in "g __ is".

Nice "catch" Doc; Mark is agettin' sneakier by the minute :rolleyes:

… Thought I had it with "gratis" …
I give you almost full credit.

Most setters in the US don't like using extraneous "surface" words (so I've read). I feel that way. :idea: Keep this in mind.

(Of course, I post this having just used an extraneous word, yesterday. Actually, heh, I'm a man of several extraneous words, but I don't use 'em often!!)

Most setters in the US don't like using extraneous "surface" words (so I've read). I feel that way. :idea: Keep this in mind.
It's the other way around in the UK (where crypts were invented); they use
the extraneous word often, in order to make the crypt a more natural sentence.

It's the other way around in the UK (where crypts were invented); they use
the extraneous words often, in order to make the crypt a more natural sentence.

I know. I've been tripped up here, for years. :)

'Tis okay. (After all, you taught me crypts.) Plus, I would never argue with the inventors (only remind them that yankees tend to forge their own way.) I might, however, express one, little, unsolicited opinion: it takes a lot more effort to set good surface without using extraneous words, so I must be getting more satisfaction when I finish than they do. Eh? Heh.

I might, however, express one, little, unsolicited opinion: it takes a lot more effort to set good surface without using extraneous words, so I must be getting more satisfaction when I finish than they do. Eh? Heh.
I guess it depends "how" one looks at it:
the extraneous link word can be such that it "appears" to be part of the clue...mais oui?