Singaporean Math problems 3

Johnx

Every week, John saves $x on Monday and he saves $1 more each day than the previous day.

a) how much money does John save on Tuesday?

My answer: monday + tuesday + 1;

b) how much does john save altogether on Monday and tuesday?

my answer: would this be the save as question a?

c) john saves $3 on monday. How much does he save altogether on Monday and Tuesday?

my answer: 3 + 4 = 7

Thank you to anyone who can answer these questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Every week, John saves $x on Monday and he saves $1 more each day than the previous day.

Your answer should be an expression using the variable x.

If it is not clear, work through it with a sample number. Suppose he saves $6 on Monday. On Tuesday he saves $1 more than that. How much is it? What expression represents what you just did?

my answer: would this be the same as question a?

Add together the expressions for the amount saved on Monday (x) and the amount saved on Tuesday.

c) john saves $3 on monday. How much does he save altogether on Monday and Tuesday?

Now you are told that x = 3. Put that into your expression from part (b). You will find that you are right this time.

This simply makes no sense because you have not said what "monday" and "tuesday" mean! I might guess that "monday" is supposed to mean "the amount of money he saved on Monday" and 'tuesday" "the amount of money he saved on Tuesday" hw can the amount of money he saved on Tuesday be the amount of money he saved on Tuesdays PLUS something?

my answer: would this be the save as question a?
No, if he save $4 on Monday and $5 on Tuesday, then the answer to (a) would be $5 and the answer to (b) would be $4+ $5= $9.

Yes, that is correct.

Thank you to anyone who can answer these questions.