Geometry problem involving equalateral triangle

CitizenV

I'm trying to build a frame in the shape of an equalateral triangle with a height of 3 5/8 inches, and I'm not sure how to factor the link of each side.

I found a formula: H = (a√3)/2 -This formula from what I've read should provide the length of each side if "a" we're to be isolated. Unfortunately, I'm also unsure how to isolate the square root in conjunction with the fraction.

Can anyone confirm if I'm on the right track? This formula is correct, right? I'd truly appreciate any help that can be provided. Thanks

Edit: please ignore, confused with isosceles.

Just the height is not enough to define it. How wide is the base?

Last edited:
I'm trying to build a frame in the shape of an equalateral triangle with a height of 3 5/8 inches, and I'm not sure how to factor the link of each side.

I found a formula: H = (a√3)/2 -This formula from what I've read should provide the length of each side if "a" we're to be isolated. Unfortunately, I'm also unsure how to isolate the square root in conjunction with the fraction.

Can anyone confirm if I'm on the right track? This formula is correct, right? I'd truly appreciate any help that can be provided. Thanks
What material (wood beam, steel wire, etc.) you plan to use to build this tiny frame?

a = length of each side of the equilateral triangle

a^2 - a^2/4 = (3 5/8)^2
simplify:
3a^2 / 4 = (29/8)^2

Can you finish it?

from denis; solve for a.
a = length of each side of the equilateral triangle

a^2 - a^2/4 = (3 5/8)^2

that is; since it is isoceles; the base of the isoceles triangle and the links are the same length, a.
that gives 1/2 the base is a/2
(where the link is a), and the ht is 3 5/8.
and 1/2 the triangle is
a rt triangle and you can use pathagorean theorem to solve it,
a^2=a/2^2+3-5/8^2.

or/ since all angles are the same (600),
the angle between the ht and the link is 300
so you can use
a*cos300=3 5/8; where cos300=(sqrt 3)/2.

You mean equilateral, right?

Brackets required, and - should be +:
a^2 = (a/2)^2 + (3+5/8)^2

yes i meant equilateral, and by 3-5/8 I meant 35/8
[i meant a hyphen between the 3 and 5, not a plus or minus sign]

yes i meant equilateral, and by 3-5/8 I meant 35/8
[i meant a hyphen between the 3 and 5, not a plus or minus sign]
That notation only works when writing the mixed number by itself.

:idea: Now you see the issue, when inserting the character string 3-5/8 into another expression.