Musical crypt

Loot although a lute is a Middle Eastern instrument with the name deriving from the Arabic "el oud."

Loot is what the crook took: homophone seems to be in the rules.
Yes, BUT an homophone indicator needs to be part of the clue:
"Homophones
Homophones can be indicated by “heard”, “sounds like”, “audibly”, “noisily”, “out loud”, “say”, “spoken”."

So something like: Yapping crook took....

But your attempt was darn good!!

Thanks, Jeff. Now I have luteonthebrain …

Denis' crypts are like spiders; it's the little ones that gitcha. ;)

PS: Guitar sounds like what crook took (4)

PPS: So far, I'm thinking Oriental = O (Edit: nope)

Last edited:
I like that music. It's like trance on strings.

Listened to lots, looking over long lists of stringed instruments … this cryptic theme could go on for awhile …

South left Tsar Iranian guitar (3) no e

Run around a Chinese guitar (4) no e

Craftily plucked middle Indonesian guitar (3) no e

:twisted:

Last edited:
Hint time!

Crook took Oriental guitar (4) no e

Direct = Oriental guitar

crook is an indicator

My answer is the Japanese instrument played in the video.

Ya got me good! I spent 45 minutes trying charades with short synonyms. Never considered crook as verb. Finally cheated, by googling list of stringed instruments. (I used the list, to set three crypts in post #8.) :)

Last edited:
Koto it is!

Another anagram of took:
Toko is a small rural settlement 10 kilometres east of Stratford, New Zealand.

… Toko is a small rural settlement 10 kilometres east of Stratford, New Zealand.
Thank goodness for Google.

(The French crypts are hard enough.)

The indicators in mine are left, around, Craftily and middle. :cool:

Big list here: you can hear some …
Is that a challenge?

Arg! Hurl! Knock off the third Arabic pipe!! (6)

Seriously, though, that's a good list; I hope they fill in the remaining audios.

When I visited the Musical Instruments Museum in Scottsdale AZ, I saw a (reproduction) stringed instrument made from a dried, inflated pig bladder. (Edit: It's an ancient Lithuanian instrument, called a Puslinė -- not on the list.) I think I have a picture. Great place -- over 10,000 instruments on display with videos of traditional uses and sounds everywhere.

bladderINST.JPG

bladderZoom.JPG

bladderDESC.JPG

Last edited:
For JeffM:

Short bid for a Sicilian oboe (6)

Okay, enough procrastinating. I'm going back to the sub-basement and ban spammers (nearly 250 yesterday; lot's more to go).

… I just finished clearing out the spammers who joined the site since I went off grid last February. Back to crypts.

I suspect Denis has already scoffed at the surface in my joke crypt:

Arg! Hurl! Knock off the third Arabic pipe!! (6)

Yeah, it was set on the fly. But, there is some (contrived) context. When I visited the MIM (Musical Instruments Museum), I watched a humongous 1926 dance-hall automaton play band music. One of the docents explained that the instrument wasn't actually "original" because the piano-scroll that used to control it had been replaced with a software interface. I had thought of posting some more pictures from the museum, but the Appolonia needs to be watched and heard. Can't upload my video, so I've posted a couple links below. Anyway, while previewing others' video, I noticed comments complaining about the computer upgrade.

Hence, the surface could be somebody loudly complaining that one of the pipes doesn't sound right, anymore, and it's making them sick. :roll:

https://youtu.be/lrDrrv5bb4c?t=210

https://youtu.be/_r5c6TsdqiM?t=320

(To hear what docents have to say, play the videos from the start.)

For JeffM:

Short bid for a Sicilian oboe (6)
Jeff is overextending himself (again). Here's a hint, when he has time.

Hint: "Short" is an indicator word; it denotes that another word has been trimmed of some letters.