help with area of triangle #1

TheNamesMike

Hello there,
I've got this problem i need some help with.

5e564eaa251f4afcc955805c7b45f969.png

i need to the find the area (A) of the right side of the triangle and the base (a) of the left (smaller) triangle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello there,
I've got this problem i need some help with.

View attachment 9948

i need to the find the area (A) of the right side of the triangle and the base (a) of the left (smaller) triangle.

I would use similar triangles to find a, then subtract the area of the small triangle from the large triangle.

What have you tried? Please show your work so we can help you with it!

I would use similar triangles to find a, then subtract the area of the small triangle from the large triangle.

What have you tried? Please show your work so we can help you with it!

yo that was quick i didn't know what this similar triangles thing was so i looked it up and was able to get the answer in less than 1 minute.
thanks

btw i got a= 1.6m ; A= 0.8m^2

yo that was quick i didn't know what this similar triangles thing was so i looked it up and was able to get the answer in less than 1 minute.
thanks

Perfect.

You could also have found the area using the formula for a trapezoid.

a is an area, do you mean a=1.6m^2?

thanks

BTW, it looks like, a<A. I do not have access of pen and paper right now but my brain thinks that the big triangle area is 1.44m^2 and a is 4/9 of that, so A is 5/9 of that.

BTW, it looks like, a<A. I do not have access of pen and paper right now but my brain thinks that the big triangle area is 1.44m^2 and a is 4/9 of that, so A is 5/9 of that.

No, a is a length (meters) and A is an area (square meters), so they can't be compared. You are misreading the problem.

But otherwise, you are correct: 5/9 of 1.44 is 0.8.

thank you

No, a is a length (meters) and A is an area (square meters), so they can't be compared. You are misreading the problem.

But otherwise, you are correct: 5/9 of 1.44 is 0.8.

I did not read it correctly.