Continuous growth

gadelke

Continuous growth - law of motion

I think this might be an exponential growth question but I'm not sure how to go about solving it?

Suppose I have some continuous time law of motion of
gif.latex
, which is the value of
gif.latex
at time
gif.latex

The growth rate of
gif.latex
with respect to some generic time
gif.latex
is as follows:

gif.latex

So the rate of growth at any time depends on the current value of
gif.latex
at that time.

If I know what the value of
gif.latex
at time
gif.latex
, how would I find out the value of
gif.latex
at time
gif.latex
(in terms of
gif.latex
)?

My intuition would be that the solution is in the form:

gif.latex

I think I cannot just integrate the growth rate because only the value of
gif.latex
is known, but any
gif.latex
will have to be derived iteratively through the growth rate equation?

How would I solve this problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
From \(\displaystyle \frac{d\mu_t}{dt}= \lambda(1+\mu_t)\) (since there is, in this problem, only one independent variable, t, we don't need the \(\displaystyle \partial\)), we have \(\displaystyle \frac{d\mu_t}{1+ \mu_t}= \lambda dt\). To integrate on the left, let \(\displaystyle x= 1+ \mu_t\) so that \(\displaystyle dx= d\mu_t\). The equation becomes \(\displaystyle \frac{dx}{x}= \lambda dt\). Integrating both sides, \(\displaystyle ln(|x|)= \lambda t+ C\). Taking the exponential of both sides we have \(\displaystyle x(t)= C'e^{\lambda t}\) where \(\displaystyle C'= e^C\).

Since \(\displaystyle x= 1+ \mu_t\), \(\displaystyle 1+ \mu_t= C'e^{\lambda t}\) so that \(\displaystyle \mu_t= C'e^{\lambda t}- 1\). Knowing that \(\displaystyle \mu_a= C_a\), we have \(\displaystyle \mu_a= C'e^{\lambda a}- 1= C_a\) so that \(\displaystyle C'e^{\lambda a}= C_a+ 1\) and \(\displaystyle C'= (C_a+ 1)e^{-\lambda a}\).

That is, \(\displaystyle \mu_t= (C_a+ 1)e^{-\lambda a}e^{\lambda t}= (C_a+ 1)e^{\lambda(t- a)}\).

Last edited:
From \(\displaystyle \frac{d\mu_t}{dt}= \lambda(1+\mu_t)\) (since there is, in this problem, only one independent variable, t, we don't need the \(\displaystyle \partial\)), we have \(\displaystyle \frac{d\mu_t}{1+ \mu_t}= \lambda dt\). To integrate on the left, let \(\displaystyle x= 1+ \mu_t\) so that \(\displaystyle dx= d\mu_t\). The equation becomes \(\displaystyle \frac{dx}{x}= \lambda dt\). Integrating both sides, \(\displaystyle ln(|x|)= \lambda t+ C\). Taking the exponential of both sides we have \(\displaystyle x(t)= C'e^{\lambda t}\) where \(\displaystyle C'= e^C\).

Since \(\displaystyle x= 1+ \mu_t\), \(\displaystyle 1+ \mu_t= C'e^{\lambda t}\) so that \(\displaystyle \mu_t= C'e^{\lambda t}- 1\). Knowing that \(\displaystyle \mu_a= C_a\), we have \(\displaystyle \mu_a= C'e^{\lambda a}- 1= C_a\) so that \(\displaystyle C'e^{\lambda a}= C_a+ 1\) and \(\displaystyle C'= (C_a+ 1)e^{-\lambda a}\).

That is, \(\displaystyle \mu_t= (C_a+ 1)e^{-\lambda a}e^{\lambda t}= (C_a+ 1)e^{\lambda(t- a)}\).

Thank you - this definitely makes sense!

---

Also as an aside - is it possible to express this in terms of \(\displaystyle \mu_{t} = \mu_{a} + \text{growth of } \mu \text{ in } (a, t] \) for \(\displaystyle t > a \)? I think this general form might also be useful to have.

Last edited: