Relative Velocity: Two towns A and B are 960km apart with A to the west of B.

cired2002

Two towns A and B are 960km apart with A to the west of B. On each of two days, a plane travels directly from A to B and back to A.

(a) On the first day, there is a wind of 90km/h blowing from the north. Given that the speed of the plane in still air is 410km/h, find
(i) the course set by the pilot for the journey from A to B
(ii) the course set by the pilot for the return journey from B to A
(iii) the total time taken for the two journeys

*I have draw the diagram and entered the necessary information on the diagram but I just couldn't get an angle inside the triangle. Please help. Any help will be greatly appreciated*

Two towns A and B are 960km apart with A to the west of B. On each of two days, a plane travels directly from A to B and back to A.

(a) On the first day, there is a wind of 90km/h blowing from the north. Given that the speed of the plane in still air is 410km/h, find

*I have draw the diagram and entered the necessary information on the diagram but I just couldn't get an angle inside the triangle. Please help. Any help will be greatly appreciated*

Could you show us your diagram and tell us specifically what you tried and what went wrong? That will help us see where you might be going wrong.

(i) the plane will have to fly northeast to go due east. That is your angle.

Last edited: