Veritcal Charts: "The length of each bar is proportional to the sales for that day."

KWF

Veritcal Charts: "The length of each bar is proportional to the sales for that day."

I have attached a attachment from a mathematics textbook that indicates the following regarding vertical charts:

"The length of each bar is proportional to the sales for that day."

What does "...proportional to the sales..." indicate. I do not understand what the sentence indicates.

Attachments

• Scan_0001.jpg
    Scan_0001.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 11
I have attached a attachment from a mathematics textbook that indicates the following regarding vertical charts:

"The length of each bar is proportional to the sales for that day."

What does "...proportional to the sales..." indicate. I do not understand what the sentence indicates.
That means that

if you decided that for each hundred dollar sale the bar will be say 1 cm long. Suppose Monday your sale was 500 dollars. Then the bar chart for Mondays sale would be 5 cm long

So on Tuesday - if your sale was half of that was Monday - your sale on Tuesday was 250 dollars. Corresponding length of the bar chart for Tuesday will be proportionately shorter - and will be half as long as that of Monday. So the bar chart for Tuesday's sale would be ( 1/2 * 5 =) 2.5 cm.

That means that

if you decided that for each hundred dollar sale the bar will be say 1 cm long. Suppose Monday your sale was 500 dollars. Then the bar chart for Mondays sale would be 5 cm long

So on Tuesday - if your sale was half of that was Monday - your sale on Tuesday was 250 dollars. Corresponding length of the bar chart for Tuesday will be proportionately shorter - and will be half as long as that of Monday. So the bar chart for Tuesday's sale would be ( 1/2 * 5 =) 2.5 cm.

If I understand correctly, each vertical length on the chart is proportional to sales in $100.00 or in your reply, every 1 cm is proportional to $100.00 on a similar chart. Is this idea or reasoning correct?

The length for Wednesday's sale is 2.5 inches and the sales is $1000.00. The sales on Friday is $1,100 and the length of the bar is 2.75 inches . This maintains a ratio of 1/400.

Each vertical line on the chart represents $100.00.

$1,100.00/$1,000.00 = 1.1

1.1 * 2.5 inches bar length = 2.75 inches bar length for Friday sales.
Wednesday sales $1,000.00: 1.1* $1,000.00 = Friday sales $1,100.00

Last edited: