Where am I going wrong?

ricecrispie

I now need help with another quotient problem if you're not busy! I'll attach a file with my working and quotient rule
1) Please state the "Quotient Rule".
2) Please demonstrate how you have implemented it.

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• Scan 27 Aug 2018-page-001.jpg
    Scan 27 Aug 2018-page-001.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited by a moderator:
Can I pick your brain about 1 more quotient rule question? I've attached my working and will really appreciate any feedback if you aren't too busy

Attachments

• Scan 27 Aug 2018-page-001.jpg
    Scan 27 Aug 2018-page-001.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all! I have another quotient rule question, I couldn't reply on my previous post for some reason but thanks to everyone that responded I got it eventually but now I'm stuck on this question. I've attached my working out, will appreciate any feedback :) JPEG_20180827_210211_1239916503.jpg

Hi all! I have another quotient rule question, I couldn't reply on my previous post for some reason but thanks to everyone that responded I got it eventually but now I'm stuck on this question. I've attached my working out, will appreciate any feedback :) View attachment 10013
The text in the image is too small and blurry for me to read. Please reply with clarification, using standard web-safe formatting. Thank you! ;)

Sorry about that! I wonder why it became so blurry, I'll try type it out as best as I can:

Differentiate:

y = (s - s^1/2) / s^2

I said:

y' = [s^2(1 - 1/2s^-1/2) - (2s)(s - s^1/2)] /s^4

= [s^2 - 1/2s^3/2 - 2s^2 + 2s^3/2] /s^4

= (-s^2 - 3/2s^3/2) / s^4

But the solution given is:

y' = (3 - 2s^1/2) / 2s^5/2

I have no idea how to get to this
The text in the image is too small and blurry for me to read. Please reply with clarification, using standard web-safe formatting. Thank you! ;)

Hi yes I did that and it worked out, thanks for the help! Can I pick your brain about 1 more quotient rule question? I've attached my working and will really appreciate any feedback if you aren't too busyView attachment 10012

This should be in a separate thread. Its posting was delayed for moderation, but you should now be able to get through more quickly.

The picture apparently was degraded because it was too large. On a computer, you can fix this by displaying it and "snipping" the appropriate piece at screen resolution. I don't know if anyone has a nice workaround for phones, but you'll have to edit the picture somehow.

This should be in a separate thread. Its posting was delayed for moderation, but you should now be able to get through more quickly.

The picture apparently was degraded because it was too large. On a computer, you can fix this by displaying it and "snipping" the appropriate piece at screen resolution. I don't know if anyone has a nice workaround for phones, but you'll have to edit the picture somehow.
Thank you I understand now, I'll start new threads for new questions.

Reply to stapel: quotient problem

Hi, I can't reply yet, thanks to everyone who helped but I really need help with this question, I'm sorry the picture was of poor quality, I tried to type it out as best as I could.

Differentiate:

y = (s - s^1/2) / s^2

I said:

Differentiate:

y = (s - s^1/2) / s^2

I said:

Thanks for parenthesizing well (mostly). This is pretty clear.

I'll repeat what you did, with some extra braces to identify the exponents, and one little fix:

y = (s - s^{1/2}) / s^2

y' = [s^2(1 - 1/2s^{-1/2}) - (2s)(s - s^{1/2})] /s^4

= [s^2 - 1/2s^{3/2} - 2s^2 + 2s^{3/2}] /s^4

= (-s^2 + 3/2s^{3/2}) / s^4

The sign on that last line is the only actual error. Now you have to factor out the smallest power of s, which is s^{3/2}:

= (3/2s^{3/2} - s^2) / s^4
= (3/2s^{3/2} - s^{1/2}s^{3/2}) / s^4
= (3/2 - s^{1/2})s^{3/2} / s^{8/2}
= (3/2 - s^{1/2})/s^{5/2}

At the end I canceled s^{3/2}, that is, subtracted 3/2 from both exponents.

Now just multiply numerator and denominator by 2 to clear fractions. Don't forget parentheses in the denominator of your final result, which are needed for clarity.

Thank you so much ! This helps a lot!
Thanks for parenthesizing well (mostly). This is pretty clear.

I'll repeat what you did, with some extra braces to identify the exponents, and one little fix:

y = (s - s^{1/2}) / s^2

y' = [s^2(1 - 1/2s^{-1/2}) - (2s)(s - s^{1/2})] /s^4

= [s^2 - 1/2s^{3/2} - 2s^2 + 2s^{3/2}] /s^4

= (-s^2 + 3/2s^{3/2}) / s^4

The sign on that last line is the only actual error. Now you have to factor out the smallest power of s, which is s^{3/2}:

= (3/2s^{3/2} - s^2) / s^4
= (3/2s^{3/2} - s^{1/2}s^{3/2}) / s^4
= (3/2 - s^{1/2})s^{3/2} / s^{8/2}
= (3/2 - s^{1/2})/s^{5/2}

At the end I canceled s^{3/2}, that is, subtracted 3/2 from both exponents.

Now just multiply numerator and denominator by 2 to clear fractions. Don't forget parentheses in the denominator of your final result, which are needed for clarity.

Yes sorry about that, completely my mistake, I was stressing about an upcoming maths test and thought it was a waste of time to read the guidelines, I've read them now and I'm really sorry to anyone that got a little confused about my duplicate responses, sorry for the bother :)
:idea: The reason why you're wondering is because you have not read the forum guidelines. This is the same reason for why you're submitting duplicate posts.