d=rt Problem: A cattle train left Miami and traveled toward New York....

spaceshowfeature1

Hi guys I’m back again with another problem. Here it is: 3) A cattle train left Miami and traveled toward New York. 14 hours later a diesel train left traveling at 45 km/h in an effort to catch up to the cattle train. After traveling for four hours the diesel train finally caught up. What was the cattle train's average speed?

I ordered all of the information into a table. Distance is unknown for both the Cattle rand Fright trains. The rate is unknown for the Cattle train and is 45km/h for the Fraught train. The time is what I had most trouble with. I assume the Cattle train has been on the tracks for 14 hours, so I put that value in for time. I then know that the Frgt train has been traveling for 4 hours so, that is the time. I get the equation 14r=45*4 and I solve to get around 12.86 km/h. That is not the answer however, the answer is 10km/h. How can I ge this answer.

Much thanks!!!

(I only know how to solve one variabled Linear Equations)

Hi guys I’m back again with another problem. Here it is: 3) A cattle train left Miami and traveled toward New York. 14 hours later a diesel train left traveling at 45 km/h in an effort to catch up to the cattle train. After traveling for four hours the diesel train finally caught up. What was the cattle train's average speed?

I ordered all of the information into a table. Distance is unknown for both the Cattle rand Fright trains. The rate is unknown for the Cattle train and is 45km/h for the Fraught train. The time is what I had most trouble with. I assume the Cattle train has been on the tracks for 14 hours, so I put that value in for time. I then know that the Frgt train has been traveling for 4 hours so, that is the time. I get the equation 14r=45*4 and I solve to get around 12.86 km/h. That is not the answer however, the answer is 10km/h. How can I ge this answer.

Much thanks!!!

(I only know how to solve one variabled Linear Equations)

At the time the diesel (freight?) train catches up, the cattle train has been going more than 14 hours! What is it really?

Make that small fix, and you'll have the answer.

At the time the diesel (freight?) train catches up, the cattle train has been going more than 14 hours! What is it really?

Make that small fix, and you'll have the answer.
Thanks! What I missed is that the problem asks the distance at the time of the Friet train passing!

Thanks! What I missed is that the problem asks the distance at the time of the Friet train passing!

I presume this is just a language issue, but where in the problem did it mention a fright/fraught/frgt/friet train? (Diesel is hard enough to spell. Isn't English fun?)

did you understand how to get the distance?
[speed=distance/time]
distance is same for both trains.
you know the speed and time of the diesel train, so you can calculate the distance.

time of cattle train 14 hours longer, so you know its time, and can calculate its speed.