Find equation of normal line to y = x^1/2 that is parallel to y = 1 - 2x

ricecrispie

Completely stumped by this question:

Q:

Find the equation of the normal line to the curve y = x^1/2 that is parallel to the line y = 1 - 2x

So we know:

m is -2 as the normal line is // to 1-2x
y' = 1/2(x^-1/2)

The normal line is perpendicular to the tangent line, therefore m * y' = -1, therefore the gradient of the normal line must be 1/2.

So then:

1/2 = y' = 1/2(x^-1/2)
1 = x^-1/2
Therefore x = 1

y(1) = 1 ....... (1,1)

y - 1 = 1/2(x - 1)
y = x/2 + 1/2

Required answer : y = -2x + 3

I don't think I'm understanding what the question is asking, I also tried using m = -2

Alternative answer:

-2 = y' = 1/2(x^-1/2)
-4 = x^-1/2
But that's impossible right?

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

Read your question as if someone else sent it to you, and you want to check it out. First look at the problem:

Find the equation of the normal line to the curve y = x^1/2 that is parallel to the line y = 1 - 2x

So the answer has to be the equation of a line whose slope is -2, right?

What is the slope of your answer?

Can you see where you got that from, and what mistake led to it?

Hint: You are saying something about the normal line that you should have said about the tangent ... Most of your work is correct, but you applied it incorrectly.

Read your question as if someone else sent it to you, and you want to check it out. First look at the problem:

So the answer has to be the equation of a line whose slope is -2, right?

What is the slope of your answer?

Can you see where you got that from, and what mistake led to it?

Hint: You are saying something about the normal line that you should have said about the tangent ... Most of your work is correct, but you applied it incorrectly.
I see that the gradient of the normal line must be -2 as the question wants it to be parallel to y = 1 -2x but since the normal line is perpendicular to the tangent line, y' should equal 1/2 ?

I see that the gradient of the normal line must be -2 as the question wants it to be parallel to y = 1 -2x but since the normal line is perpendicular to the tangent line, y' should equal 1/2 ?

Correct. So when you said, "therefore the gradient of the normal line must be 1/2", you meant "of the tangent", right?

But then you didn't write the equation of the normal line! Your equation is the tangent.

Correct. So when you said, "therefore the gradient of the normal line must be 1/2", you meant "of the tangent", right?

But then you didn't write the equation of the normal line! Your equation is the tangent.
Oh yes I understand ! But we're still looking for the equation of the normal line not tangent so what do I do with the fact that the slope of the tangent line is 1/2? I get confused by that

Oh yes I understand ! But we're still looking for the equation of the normal line not tangent so what do I do with the fact that the slope of the tangent line is 1/2? I get confused by that

Who cares what the slope of the tangent is, when you are asked for the normal? Just use the slope of the normal in the equation:

y - 1 = -2(x - 1)

and so on.

I believe you are thinking about it correctly.
when you know the slope of the tangent, the normal line will be 900 to that, and is the negative reciprocal.
but prove it to yourself. Then it will sink in.
draw a line with slope of 1/2. You should find that a slope of -2 is at 900 to it;

{and 1/3 is 900 to slope=-3, and so on.}