Calculating the Volume per Month

GuyW

Hello all,

I'm new and have a mathematical problem I can't seem to solve despite a lot of head scratching. I feel like I'm not too far away but I just can't make the breakthrough.

I'm analysing data which can't be converted from text. Therefore I have to use contain formulas to identify months and years. Because of this I can't simply calculate the volume by month and year as they are separate.

How can I calculate per month and year with the below information ?

Jan4201688
Feb252017127
Mar75201829
Apr7
May88
Jun3
Jul0
Aug0
Sep0
Oct1
Nov41
Dec0

Objective: Be able to identify volume for each month/year (Jan-2016...etc)

Thank you in advance for your help !

Hello all,

I'm new and have a mathematical problem I can't seem to solve despite a lot of head scratching. I feel like I'm not too far away but I just can't make the breakthrough.

I'm analysing data which can't be converted from text. Therefore I have to use contain formulas to identify months and years. Because of this I can't simply calculate the volume by month and year as they are separate.

How can I calculate per month and year with the below information ?

Jan4201688
Feb252017127
Mar75201829
Apr7
May88
Jun3
Jul0
Aug0
Sep0
Oct1
Nov41
Dec0

Objective: Be able to identify volume for each month/year (Jan-2016...etc)

Thank you in advance for your help !

I don't understand what you want to do. Why can't the data be "converted from text"? Do you want to change the month names to numbers and can't? What would you need to do with them? And is "contain formulas" a typo for "certain formulas", or something?

More important, what do the numbers represent? I suppose they are volumes per month and per year; but are they volumes for each month in some particular year, and the total for each year? The monthly numbers don't add up to any of the yearly numbers, so I can't make sense of that. And the data you give don't provide enough information to tell the volume in any given month of any given year.

Finally, what is the goal? If you want the average number per month, you don't need any text; just add up the numbers and divide by 12. And, again, if you want the volumes in each month over three years, the data just isn't there.