2 Tangent Semi Circles Tangent in a Ray

Sophia P

The figure shows two semicircles with centers P and M. The semicircles ard tangent to each other at point B and ray DE is tangent to both semicircles at points F and E. If PB=BC=6, find DE.

I have gotten most of the question finished, but I can’t find out what FE is, which I think is needed to find DE. Thank you!

AE4A1127-7B88-4C2D-AC6D-A3BD505ECD7C.jpg
Edit: so I’m going to elaborate on what I did so far: I created the two similar triangles, triangle FPD and triangle EMD and was able to put the 6 and 3 values on the shorter legs respectively. I could create a proportion if I knew the value of FE but I don’t know how to get to FE. Thanks!

Last edited:
The figure shows two semicircles with centers P and M. The semicircles ard tangent to each other at point B and ray DE is tangent to both semicircles at points F and E. If PB=BC=6, find DE.

I have gotten most of the question finished, but I can’t find out what FE is, which I think is needed to find DE. Thank you!

View attachment 10156
Edit: so I’m going to elaborate on what I did so far: I created the two similar triangles, triangle FPD and triangle EMD and was able to put the 6 and 3 values on the shorter legs respectively. I could create a proportion if I knew the value of FE but I don’t know how to get to FE. Thanks!

It will also help if you realise that FP=PB=6 (both radii of the bigger circle), EM=MC=3 (radii of smaller triangle) and that angle PFD = angle MED= 90 degrees (property of tangent to a circle being perpendicular to radius at point of contact).
So triangle PFD is similar to triangle MED.

Let CD =x and then look at FP/EM =PD/MD - solve for x. Then Pythagoras will enable you to calculate DE. Give it a go!

if you choose the middle point

View attachment 10156

of FP and name it Z, then triangle PZE is congruent to triangle EMD. So, DB has length 9, and triangle EMD
is a right triangle. Then you can find the length DE.

Last edited: