what does this phrase mean? "How is your solution to part a shown in the graph?"

allegansveritatem

what does this phrase mean? "How is your solution to part a shown in the graph?"

The following phrase is taken from one of the problems in one of Robert Blixer's algebra text books. I have run into it several timeds but can't find what it means even on Google:

"How is your solution to part a shown in the graph?"

That fragment "part a shown" is strange to me. What does it mean. I can guess but can't parse it grammatically.

The following phrase is taken from one of the problems in one of Robert Blixer's algebra text books. I have run into it several timeds but can't find what it means even on Google:

That fragment "part a shown" is strange to me. What does it mean. I can guess but can't parse it grammatically.

The original problem has 2 parts (or more)...; part a) and part b) :roll:

Was there not a "part a" to a previous question? If your question is specifically about the phrase "part a shown" then perhaps you are parsing it wrong. The "subject" is the full "your solution to part a". That is what "shown" on a graph.

… I have run into it several timeds but can't find what it means …
It would be nice to see a specific example.

The question seems to ask for a graphical interpretation (in your own words) of the solution at hand, using some specific graph. :cool:

The original problem has 2 parts (or more)...; part a) and part b) :roll:

This looks like my answer. I will look at the book tomorrow and make sure, don't have access to it right now. If you are right, then I would advise the editors of these books (which are now out of print so my advice is both late and futile) is that they use a capital A instead of a small a so that slow-brained students of my stripe won't get confused.

Thanks to you and the others for pointing me toward the light.

This looks like my answer. I will look at the book tomorrow and make sure, don't have access to it right now. If you are right, then I would advise the editors of these books (which are now out of print so my advice is both late and futile) is that they use a capital A instead of a small a so that slow-brained students of my stripe won't get confused.

Thanks to you and the others for pointing me toward the light.

I assume your book is by Blitzer, not Blixer. Which particular book is it, and from what publisher? He (or his series of books) is still publishing, even if you have an old edition.

There are various styles for referring to parts of a problem; but in the book I have by him (College Algebra Essentials), a typical problem says, "How does this compare with your answer in part (a)?", using parentheses to set off the part id. That style seems clear enough. Others might put "a" in bold type, or somehow otherwise set it off so it doesn't look like an article. I'm rather surprised that a published book would not do anything of the sort.

I assume your book is by Blitzer, not Blixer. Which particular book is it, and from what publisher? He (or his series of books) is still publishing, even if you have an old edition.

There are various styles for referring to parts of a problem; but in the book I have by him (College Algebra Essentials), a typical problem says, "How does this compare with your answer in part (a)?", using parentheses to set off the part id. That style seems clear enough. Others might put "a" in bold type, or somehow otherwise set it off so it doesn't look like an article. I'm rather surprised that a published book would not do anything of the sort.
I am about to give you a surprise:

blitzer.jpg

I went to my book and yes, the solution to the mystery suggested above, is the solution indeed. I guess I could blame Blitzer for "faking me out". But...well, I think I'll just tuck in my tail and suck it up (not my tail). Here is the problem in question:

blitzer.jpg

This won't be the first time some presentation or wording confuses you. It happens to all of us, from time to time. As students, we need to be flexible.

Nearly two-thirds of the class missed this one: "On a bicycle, Judy rode 8 hours and is 90 miles from home. After 10 hours, she is 112 miles away. What is Judy's rate?"

Most messed up because they read the first sentence to m͏ean it took her 8 hours to ride 90 miles (so they wrote 90mi/8hr and answered 11¼ miles per hour). Turns out that interpretation is wrong because the author never said she started at home.

Some class materials could be better worded/presented. If one "tricks" you, just do a face palm (or utter a mild curse) and then move on! :cool:

This won't be the first time some presentation or wording confuses you. It happens to all of us, from time to time. As students, we need to be flexible.

Nearly two-thirds of the class missed this one: "On a bicycle, Judy rode 8 hours and is 90 miles from home. After 10 hours, she is 112 miles away. What is Judy's rate?"

Most messed up because they read the first sentence to m͏ean it took her 8 hours to ride 90 miles (so they wrote 90mi/8hr and answered 11¼ miles per hour). Turns out that interpretation is wrong because the author never said she started at home.

Some class materials could be better worded/presented. If one "tricks" you, just do a face palm (or utter a mild curse) and then move on! :cool:

Right: Seven times down, eight times up, as the Zen saying has it.