Double IFs question: Mrs Oliver has some butter cookies and chocolate cookies....

metalarm

Hi, I have a question that I am stumped at. Any assistance for this will be wonderful.

Mrs Oliver has some butter cookies and chocolate cookies. If she bakes another 20 butter cookies, 40% of her cookies are butter cookies. However, if she bakes another 33 chocolate cookies, 75% of her cookies are chocolate cookies. How many cookies does she have?

Please help

Hi, I have a question that I am stumped at. Any assistance for this will be wonderful.

Mrs Oliver has some butter cookies and chocolate cookies. If she bakes another 20 butter cookies, 40% of her cookies are butter cookies. However, if she bakes another 33 chocolate cookies, 75% of her cookies are chocolate cookies. How many cookies does she have?

Please help

How to solve this depends on what you have learned; that is one reason our guidelines tell you to show your work, so we can see what methods to use.

If you are doing algebra, and can handle two variables, I would define B = number of butter cookies, and C = number of chocolate cookies. After baking 20 more butter cookies, how many will there be (an expression)? What equation says that 40% of the cookies will be butter cookies? Do the same with the other hypothetical situation, and then solve the equations.

If that doesn't make any sense to you, please tell us what method you have been taught, and make an attempt to use it.