Correct geometric name for this two-dimensional figure

rww88

Well I have searched for over an hour now on the internet and I still do not know what this shape is called. Help please. Thanks.

Attachments

• 2-D shape.jpg
    2-D shape.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 32
Well I have searched for over an hour now on the internet and I still do not know what this shape is called. Help please. Thanks.

Why must it have a name? Call it "Steve", if you like.

It is somewhat reminiscent of a "Luna" from Projective Geometry, but not a real close representation.

Most specific figures you can draw don't have individual names; I can't think of a name for this, or even a category.

Is there some reason you think this would have a name? If you just want a way to talk about it, you can make up a reasonable name and use it.

I was just being naturally curious. I find myself doing that quite frequently.

One figure that I found that is similar and whose sides are divergently non-parallel was called both an annular sector and a circular trapezoid. At any rate, thanks for your replies. Now I know this creature has no name. From this point going forward, I suggest that the correct geometric name for this two-dimensional figure become Steve.

One figure that I found that is similar and whose sides are divergently non-parallel was called both an annular sector and a circular trapezoid. At any rate, thanks for your replies. Now I know this creature has no name. From this point going forward, I suggest that the correct geometric name for this two-dimensional figure become Steve.

It is possible that some author with some specific purpose will name whatever shape the author needs to invent. This is most likely a matter of convenience within the particular text book. If it doesn't catch on, outside the textbook, it may never be well-defined or well-named. :)

Last edited:

Curiosity is good, even though often the answer to such a question is that no one has thought it was significant enough to give it a name, or else it died out because not enough people cared. (It may have been given a name once, or even many times, but never caught on.)

The annular sector consists of an arc, two partial radii, and a similar arc, so that the sides are perpendicular where they meet. This figure has many applications, so it is well-known; and the two words that make up the name have even more general applicability.

Your shape consists of two congruent arcs (actually semicircles) joined by parallel lines. I can't think of any application for it, or a name for the general idea of joining two congruent curves with parallel straight lines, so there is no convenient way to make up a name that would be readily understood. Or maybe just none of us have thought of one.

Yes, curiosity is good Dr. Peterson

Yes, curiosity is good Dr. Peterson. At least mine generated some thoughtful responses, and for that I am appreciative. Your last post did at least provide mathematical terms for the various parts of similar shapes. Once again, thank you all for your considered replies.