Serius question, How many bananas in 500 miles?

How many bananas in 500 miles?
Your question could be better worded. I've guessed you're trying to answer this:

If a 500-mile (straight) line is cut into 8" segments, how many segments will there be?

If so, convert 500 miles to inches, and divide the result by 8. :cool:

Last edited:
Asking how many bananas "in 500 miles" is ambiguous. If you were to travel 500 miles in Siberia, there could be zero bananas. If you were to travel 500 miles through the Amazon, there would be a lot of bananas. If you were to travel in downtown Seattle near Jeff Bezos free-banana stands (two in 2015), you could witness 8,000 bananas being given away each day for free -- squishing nearby small-business banana sales. (I haven't heard about Bezos' bananas bonanza, recently, and I only eat organic bananas anyway; Bezos was too cheap to give those away.)

Cant tell if thats a joke but thanks!!!!

So there would be 3,960,000 8" segments in 500 miles? (I think I did it right)

… there would be 3,960,000 8" segments in 500 miles …
That is correct.

My earlier point is serious (namely, miles do not contain bananas). Yes, I made my point jokingly, using one interpretation.

I did a quick check of banana specifications at USDA, and I see average batch-size lengths reported, but those were not straight-line measurements. If you're really serious about precision, you might want to consider how positioning and line-of-measurement matter. :cool:

Reminds me of this oldie:

A person has 3000 bananas and a camel. The person wants to transport
maximum number of bananas to a destination which is 1000 KMs away,
using only the camel as a mode of transportation.
The camel cannot carry more than 1000 bananas at a time and eats a banana
every km it travels.
What is the maximum number of bananas that can be transferred to the
destination using only camel (no other mode of transportation is allowed).

… The camel … eats a banana every km it travels …
That's bananas!

Question: Assuming the person and their camel can eventually reach the destination, does the person need 1,000 bananas for the camel's return trip home?

That's bananas!

Question: Assuming the person and their camel can eventually reach the destination, does the person need 1,000 bananas for the camel's return trip home?
No, the camel drover buys artichokes. 100 bananas will buy 800 artichokes at the destination, and the camel only eats 1 artichoke every 2 days. And at home 100 artichokes buy 1000 bananas. This arbitrage operation is a mint. Pretty soon the drover can buy another camel, and then two more, etc. This thing has exponential returns.