Is the number of diameter divided by the number of chords is a fixed number?

shahar

Why it is? Why it is not?

I'm not sure what you are asking.

Any circle has infinitely many chords (i.e. segments joining points on the circle), of which infinitely many are diameters (i.e. chords passing through the center). You can't calculate that ratio.

And if you meant the length of a diameter divided by the length of a chord, that depends on the chord.

Please restate the question, and tell us why you are asking it.

I'm not sure what you are asking.

Any circle has infinitely many chords (i.e. segments joining points on the circle), of which infinitely many are diameters (i.e. chords passing through the center). You can't calculate that ratio.

And if you meant the length of a diameter divided by the length of a chord, that depends on the chord.

Please restate the question, and tell us why you are asking it.
O.K.
If Infinitely chords divided by infinitely diameter are not ratio that can be calculate, so... I can say that every infinitely number of something divided by infinitely number of something else can't be calculate. Right? (Or I'm wrong?!)

All you have done is repeat the non-sense in your first post. You can't do arithmetic with "infinity" (unless you want to go to "non-standard" arithmetic which I feel sure you do not intend).

O.K.
If Infinitely chords divided by infinitely diameter are not ratio that can be calculate, so... I can say that every infinitely number of something divided by infinitely number of something else can't be calculate. Right? (Or I'm wrong?!)

You can only divide numbers. Infinity is not a number. So you can't divide infinity by infinity. You can't do any division involving infinity without careful justification, and then only sometimes.

There are situations in which you can express a question about infinite quantities in terms of a limit; but I don't see how this could be expressed meaningfully. Again, in order to answer it in a useful way, we need to know the context of the question. Why do you ask?

Now, if you were asking for the probability that a randomly chosen chord is a diameter, the answer would be zero. That's because for one given point, only 1 out of infinite other points on the circle will be exactly opposite, and 1/infinity can be reasonably said to be zero (with appropriate explanations).

By that - are you referring to the LENGTH of the diameter?

By that - are you referring to the LENGTH of the chord?

By that - are you referring to the LENGTH of the diameter?

By that - are you referring to the LENGTH of the chord?
You probably are correct. I am surprised that the OP could not see that the division is not a constant as the diameter is constant and the length of the chords do not have to be.

You probably are correct. I am surprised that the OP could not see that the division is not a constant as the diameter is constant and the length of the chords do not have to be.

Shahar's response to me appeared to confirm the other interpretation, that it is about the number of each, rather than lengths. But until we hear more, we can't be sure what the original intention was. It's possible, for example, that the question came from a context with a given number of points around a circle, with all possible chords drawn. In that case, the ratio of number of diameters to number of chords would still depend on the number and placement of points. Context is everything.