Question about circumference

TheAngryHulk

I know this might sound strange but, if you cut a circle in one specific spot and straightened it into a line it would have a length. Why isn't that length considered the circumference?

I know this might sound strange but, if you cut a circle in one specific spot and straightened it into a line it would have a length. Why isn't that length considered the circumference?

1) line SEGMENT
2) Definition. A circumference must enclose something.
3) Sometimes, the circumference may refer to the linear distance only, and not the locus of points so measured.
4) If your construction is a circumference, can you define what it encloses?

1) line SEGMENT
2) Definition. A circumference must enclose something.
3) Sometimes, the circumference may refer to the linear distance only, and not the locus of points so measured.
4) If your construction is a circumference, can you define what it encloses?

"The locus of points" is the circle, not the circumference. The circumference is a measure of length.

The circumference, being a length, is linear; ie it can be measured against a ruler. So yes, if you cut a string that is in the form of a circle and placed the string against a ruler it would be the length of the circumference--By Definition of circumference! Why do you thing otherwise?

"The locus of points" is the circle, not the circumference. The circumference is a measure of length.

I stand by #3. "Circumference" can be either the distance around something, not necessarily a circle, or the enclosing boundary itself.

in a way it is.
the length you describe will have the same measurement as the circumference.

The circumference, being a length, is linear; ie it can be measured against a ruler. So yes, if you cut a string that is in the form of a circle and placed the string against a ruler it would be the length of the circumference--By Definition of circumference! Why do you think otherwise?

First I didn't know circumference was considered a measure of length. Second I couldn't understand why pi has to be part of the formula.