Ratio question, 1 in 2 vs 1 to 2

mickgbison

Hi, English is not my first language. I have problems with English wording in ratio questions. What is the difference between 1 part in 2 as a ratio compared to 1 part to 2 as a ratio?

Is 1 part in 2 = 1:2
Is 1 part to 2 = 1:3 ? Or no difference and they are the same?

Much help be appreciated, thank you

Hi, English is not my first language. I have problems with English wording in ratio questions. What is the difference between 1 part in 2 as a ratio compared to 1 part to 2 as a ratio?

Is 1 part in 2 = 1:2
Is 1 part to 2 = 1:3 ? Or no difference and they are the same?

Much help be appreciated, thank you

It is very common for English speakers to say this wrong, so you may not be sure what they mean even if you interpret it "correctly".

But the correct usage is that 1:2 means a ratio of 1 to 2, meaning 1 parts of something and 2 parts of something else (not out of 2 parts total). On the other hand, 1/2 means a fraction of 1 in 2, meaning 1 part of something out of a total of 2 parts.

So, for example, if you have milk to water in the ratio 1:2 (1 to 2), 1/3 of the mixture is milk (1 part in 3).

It is very common for English speakers to say this wrong, so you may not be sure what they mean even if you interpret it "correctly".

But the correct usage is that 1:2 means a ratio of 1 to 2, meaning 1 parts of something and 2 parts of something else (not out of 2 parts total). On the other hand, 1/2 means a fraction of 1 in 2, meaning 1 part of something out of a total of 2 parts.

So, for example, if you have milk to water in the ratio 1:2 (1 to 2), 1/3 of the mixture is milk (1 part in 3).

Thank you for your help.