Infinite series and partial sums: sum[n=1,infty] 1/n^{19/17}

Kemikeren

I have the following problem:

Consider the infinite series

. . . . .\(\displaystyle \displaystyle S\, =\, \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\, \dfrac{1}{n^{19/17}}\)

and the partial sum

. . . . .\(\displaystyle \displaystyle S_N\, =\, \sum_{n=1}^N\, \dfrac{1}{n^{19/17}}\)

Determine N such that

. . . . .\(\displaystyle N\, \mbox{sa}\, \big|\, S\, -\, S_n\,\big|\, \leq\, \dfrac{17}{2}\, \times\, 10^{-84}\)

I know that the error is the first "neglected" part of the sum i.e. if I sum from n=1 to n=4 then the |S-SN| ≤ n=5 (This might be a bad explanation, but I don't know how to use math mode on this forum yet.

Anyway. I assume that I have to find the value of N so that my sum goes up until the value before 17/2*10^(-84) but how do I do this?

Thank you very much in advance!

(And please, if you know how to insert equations in this forum, please let me know :) )

Attachments

• Udklip.JPG
    Udklip.JPG
    17 KB · Views: 9
Last edited by a moderator:
I have the following problem:

Consider the infinite series

. . . . .\(\displaystyle \displaystyle S\, =\, \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\, \dfrac{1}{n^{19/17}}\)

and the partial sum

. . . . .\(\displaystyle \displaystyle S_N\, =\, \sum_{n=1}^N\, \dfrac{1}{n^{19/17}}\)

Determine N such that

. . . . .\(\displaystyle N\, \mbox{sa}\, \big|\, S\, -\, S_n\,\big|\, \leq\, \dfrac{17}{2}\, \times\, 10^{-84}\)

I know that the error is the first "neglected" part of the sum i.e. if I sum from n=1 to n=4 then the |S-SN| ≤ n=5 (This might be a bad explanation, but I don't know how to use math mode on this forum yet.

Anyway. I assume that I have to find the value of N so that my sum goes up until the value before 17/2*10^(-84) but how do I do this?

Thank you very much in advance!

(And please, if you know how to insert equations in this forum, please let me know :) )
I've converted the (fairly small) image into mathematical formatting. You can do the same by using the LaTeX tool that this forum accepts (here).

I was unable to convert one part of the image, because I don't know what it means. What is the "sa" in the last line of the exercise? Thank you! ;)