Area of a.... I dont know what shape this is...

Intrepid

Hi all,

Need some help calculating the area of the attached shape:

Its got some irregular edges and angles and its not as straight forward as a simple calculation.

I've tried converting the cut outs to smaller triangles then subtracting these areas but Im getting around 690sqm and I dont think thats right?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• EFFIE.jpg
    EFFIE.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 1
Hi all,

Need some help calculating the area of the attached shape:

Its got some irregular edges and angles and its not as straight forward as a simple calculation.

I've tried converting the cut outs to smaller triangles then subtracting these areas but Im getting around 690sqm and I dont think thats right?

Any help would be much appreciated.

I had trouble finding a good site that shows how to do this, other than my own, which is rather old: Land Plot Area.

As a result of getting many questions of this sort, I long ago made a spreadsheet to do the calculations, which are too complicated to show you in detail unless you really need them. I entered your data, and found that the survey closes perfectly (that is, it comes back to the starting point exactly), and the area is 673.84 square meters (assuming the lengths are in meters).

So it looks like your approximation is fairly reasonable.

I had trouble finding a good site that shows how to do this, other than my own, which is rather old: Land Plot Area.

As a result of getting many questions of this sort, I long ago made a spreadsheet to do the calculations, which are too complicated to show you in detail unless you really need them. I entered your data, and found that the survey closes perfectly (that is, it comes back to the starting point exactly), and the area is 673.84 square meters (assuming the lengths are in meters).

So it looks like your approximation is fairly reasonable.

Thank you! Its just a really weird shape - the kind of thing I haven't looked at since I was in high school!