Probability of drawing a king on the 13th draw from a carddeck

flip101

Hello, i'm trying to solve question 2 of problem 2 by myself. The question + answer + explanation can be found in the link below.

https://github.com/theGreenJedi/The...l_ 13 cards in a deck _ Problem Set 3 _ 6.pdf

I will use the ncr() function of SpeedCrunch to denote combinations.

My reasoning was as follows: when 4 kings can not be chosen there are ncr(48;12) ways to pick the first 12 cards. When any card can be chosen there are ncr(52;12) ways to pick the first 12 cards. So the probability that the first 12 cards are not kings is ncr(48;12) / ncr(52;12)

Then there are (52 - 12) cards left of which 4 are kings, so the probability that the next card is king is 4 / 40. So my answer is: ( ncr(48;12) / ncr(52;12) ) * 4/40 = 0,0337575 But this is numerically not the correct answer. Where did i go wrong in my reasoning?

Hello, i'm trying to solve question 2 of problem 2 by myself. The question + answer + explanation can be found in the link below.

https://github.com/theGreenJedi/The...l_ 13 cards in a deck _ Problem Set 3 _ 6.pdf

I will use the ncr() function of SpeedCrunch to denote combinations.

My reasoning was as follows: when 4 kings can not be chosen there are ncr(48;12) ways to pick the first 12 cards. When any card can be chosen there are ncr(52;12) ways to pick the first 12 cards. So the probability that the first 12 cards are not kings is ncr(48;12) / ncr(52;12)

Then there are (52 - 12) cards left of which 4 are kings, so the probability that the next card is king is 4 / 40. So my answer is: ( ncr(48;12) / ncr(52;12) ) * 4/40 = 0,0337575 But this is numerically not the correct answer. Where did i go wrong in my reasoning?

Your explanation is convincing. Why do you say it's "numerically not correct"? That's the same numerical answer I get when I evaluate either of their forms, and it can be easily shown that it is equivalent to either of them:

C(48,12)/C(52,12)*4/40 = (48*47*...*37)/(12*11*...*1) * (12*11*...*1)/(52*51*...*41) * 4/40
= (48*47*...*37)/(52*51*...*41) * 4/10 = (48*47*...*37*4)/(52*51*...*41*40)

I think you went wrong in checking your answer against theirs, not in your actual work.

But this is a horrible problem, as it asks for "THE correct expression", when they themselves point out that there are more than one correct expression! It would make a lot more sense to let you enter your own expression, and for them to check that it is equivalent. Good software can do that.

The probability that the first card is a king is the same as the thirteenth card is a king, \(\displaystyle \dfrac{1}{13}=0.07692\)

This is very difficult for many to accept.But if you are at a college with a good mathematics library you should be able to find the Springer texts in Statistics, Probability by Jim Pitiman (Jim teaches at Berkeley). In the addition I have in chapter 3 there is an optional section called Symmetry. In that section there is a complete discussion of this question.

I think you went wrong in checking your answer against theirs, not in your actual work.

Yes i think this was it too. I was so entangled in the explanation of the problem that i scrolled back and forth between pages and notes that i had the answer of the first question in mind. Actually in my practice of questions before this, when i corrected my own homework most of the time i didn't read properly. This time i didn't notice it though :(

The probability that the first card is a king is the same as the thirteenth card is a king, \(\displaystyle \dfrac{1}{13}=0.07692\)

Ok thank you for your advices but this is about question 1, i asked about question 2.