Laplace's Equation: d^2 T/dx^2 + d^2 T/dy^2 = 0

Bob_2013

I have been posed the following question;

The steady-state temperature distribution T on a flat sheet in thexy-plane obeys Laplace’s equation:

. . . . .\(\displaystyle \dfrac{\partial^2 T}{\partial x^2}\, +\, \dfrac{\partial^2 T}{\partial y^2}\, =\, 0\)

(a) Demonstrate that each of the functions
(i) T1(x, y) = e−2ycos 2xand
(ii) T2(x, y) = ln px2 + y2 is a solution to Laplace’s equation.
(b) For each of these two temperature functions, determine the rateof change of the temperature if moving from the location (0, −1)towards the origin.

and I don't know how to preform part a) so I was wondering if someone might be able to walk me through the process?

cheers :D

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-10-14 at 4.04.52 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-14 at 4.04.52 pm.png
    9.1 KB · Views: 15
Last edited by a moderator:

The steady-state temperature distribution T on a flat sheet in thexy-plane obeys Laplace’s equation:

. . . . .\(\displaystyle \dfrac{\partial^2 T}{\partial x^2}\, +\, \dfrac{\partial^2 T}{\partial y^2}\, =\, 0\)

(b) For each of these two temperature functions, determine the rateof change of the temperature if moving from the location (0, −1)towards the origin.

and I don't know how to preform part a) so I was wondering if someone might be able to walk me through the process?

First calculate the partial derivatives of the proposed solutions (functions) and then use those in the given differential Equation and see if the equation is satisfied.

Please use parentheses! I can guess that "e-2y" is supposed to be e^(-2y) but there is no way of telling if, by "ln px2+ y2" you mean ln(px^2)+ y^2 or ln(px^2+ y^2) or ln(p) x^2+ y^2 or ln(p))(x^2+ y^2).

To illustrate what Subhotosh Khan means, if T1(x, y)= e^(-2y) cos(2x) then T1_x= -2 e^(-2y)sin(2x) and T1_(xx)= -4 e^(2x) cos(2x). Then T1_y= -2 e^(-2y) sin(-2x) and T2_(yy)= 4e^(-2y)sin(-2x).

What do you get when you put those second derivatives into Laplace's equation?