Apparently "Elena" doesn't know how many batches she can make with her ingredients

imnotsmartwithmath

Apparently "Elena" doesn't know how many batches she can make with her ingredients

Okay before I ask my question let me just ask why would you (Elena) start to cook something when you don't know how many batches you're going to make? You're making us kids do the work for you! Sigh. People these days, am I right?

Okay so here's the problem:

**NOTE: PLEASE DON'T GIVE ME THE ANSWER ONLY THE TWO EQUATIONS I NEED SO I CAN SOLVE THE PROBLEM MYSELF SO I CAN LEARN HOW TO SOLVE PROBLEMS LIKE THIS IN THE FUTURE EASIER, THANK YOU!**

"Elena sells two kinds of pasta, plain and spinach. Both types take 4 cups of flour per batch. The plain pasta uses 2 eggs per batch, and the spinach pasta uses just one. She wants to make both types using all the ingredients she has: 12 cups of flour and five eggs. How many batches of spinach pasta will she make?"
A screenshot of the problem will be attached! :)

I'm not 100% sure what specific method these guys (Essentialed website, I'm studying for my GED) want me to use to solve this, but the latest lesson I took yesterday was about the Elimination method and the Substitution method, I don't mind what method you choose for me to use to solve this.

What I am stuck on is making the two equations that I can use either the Elimination method or the Substitution method. (For example, 2y + x = 1050 and y + x = 350).
I ONLY need the two equations, as it doesn't help me very much when just given the answer and how you got it, please don't take that offensively it's just how my brain works I know I'm quite the needy kid please bare with me haha. Also, when you smart, beautiful, astonishingly handsome people give me the equations, please tell me how you got the equations. For example, "Let 'x' represent the plain plasta" and "because the plain pasta takes 4 cups of flour per batch, you'd get 4(x)". Just an example, it'll help me a lot!

Thank you so much in advance!

Stay beautiful

P.S: feel free to talk trash about Elena, since she's too lazy to ask the pro's for help XD

imdumb.jpg

"Elena sells two kinds of pasta, plain and spinach. Both types take 4 cups of flour per batch. The plain pasta uses 2 eggs per batch, and the spinach pasta uses just one. She wants to make both types using all the ingredients she has: 12 cups of flour and five eggs. How many batches of spinach pasta will she make?"

What I am stuck on is making the two equations that I can use either the Elimination method or the Substitution method. (For example, 2y + x = 1050 and y + x = 350).
I ONLY need the two equations, as it doesn't help me very much when just given the answer and how you got it, please don't take that offensively it's just how my brain works I know I'm quite the needy kid please bare with me haha. Also, when you smart, beautiful, astonishingly handsome people give me the equations, please tell me how you got the equations. For example, "Let 'x' represent the plain plasta" and "because the plain pasta takes 4 cups of flour per batch, you'd get 4(x)". Just an example, it'll help me a lot!

I wouldn't want to give you the answer in the first place; the site's policy is not to do so until it seems appropriate. In fact, I won't give you the entire equations, just how to get to them.

First, x can't "represent the plain pasta"; x has to represent a number! So we need to define it clearly. How do we decide on the variables? Usually, just look for the question: "How many batches of spinach pasta?" So ...

x = number of batches of plain pasta
y = number of batches of spinach pasta

and we'll only have to tell them y.

Now, what will the equations have to say? The constraint (that is, the thing that has to be true) is that she uses up the 12 cups of flour and the 5 eggs. So one equation will say, "total number of cups of flour = 12", and the other will say, "total number of eggs = 5".

So, you want to write an expression for the number of cups of flour used in x batches of plain and y batches of spinach. Then set that equal to 12.

Then do the same for the eggs.

Let us see what your equations are, and then go ahead and solve them (by any method you like, I don't care). And if you also explain in words why your equations are what they are, we can comment on that. I suspect you have a better idea what to do than you let on. (You seem pretty smart to me, in several ways.)