[High School Geometry] Circle w/ center "this" pt, vertex as endpt would circumscribe

MathDude

[High School Geometry] Circle w/ center "this" pt, vertex as endpt would circumscribe

So the word problem is:

A circle with a center at this point and a vertex as an endpoint would circumscribe the triangle. What is this point?

This problem relates to triangles (circumcenter, orthocenter, etc).

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

So the word problem is:
A circle with a center at this point and a vertex as an endpoint would circumscribe the triangle. What is this point?
This problem relates to triangles (circumcenter, orthocenter, etc). Any help is appreciated!
Have you posted the question exactly as it is written? If not then please do so.
If you have copied it correctly then I feel for you because it seems nonsensical.

So the word problem is:

This problem relates to triangles (circumcenter, orthocenter, etc).

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Evidently you have learned the definitions of the various centers of a triangle, or at least can look them up. Which one fits the description?

What it is saying is this: Given a triangle ABC, there is a point X such that, if you draw a circle with center X and vertex A, this circle circumscribes the triangle. What is the name for point X?

Evidently you have learned the definitions of the various centers of a triangle, or at least can look them up. Which one fits the description?

What it is saying is this: Given a triangle ABC, there is a point X such that, if you draw a circle with center X and vertex A, this circle circumscribes the triangle. What is the name for point X?

by circumscribe; do you mean the circle passes thru all three corners of the triangle?
or does the circle only have to pass thru A, and be outside B, and C?
i.e. are you trying to find a point x equidistant from each corner?

Last edited:
by circumscribe; do you mean the circle passes thru all three corners of the triangle?
or does the circle only have to pass thru A, and be outside B, and C?
i.e. are you trying to find a point x equidistant from each corner?

Yes, we say that a circle circumscribes a triangle when it passes through all the vertices: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circumscribed_circle, https://www.mathsisfun.com/definitions/circumscribe.html.

This is part of the definition I expect MathDude to find in the definition of circumcenter.

Do they teach students to look up definitions any more?

Last edited: