Skyscraper: difference in width of base, top floor, using plumb lines & Earth's diam.

Intellectualketchup

Skyscraper: difference in width of base, top floor, using plumb lines & Earth's diam.

My question is simple. Based on an estimated circumference of the earth, of 24,901 miles, Can anyone answer the following question, please?

The World Trade Center Tower #1, had a height of 1368 feet, and the base of the tower measured 2486” inches x 2486” inches. The tower was built using levels and plumb lines, which required each wall to remainperpendicular to the earth. As the tower is built, each floor is built plumb and level, on top of the floor below it. As the tower grows taller, each floor must grow slightly wider at the top, adhering to the plumb lines and levels. Based on the proposed curvature of earth, with each plumb line aiming toward the center of earth, what will be the expected difference between the base size (at ground level of 2486" x 2486"), and the size of the very top of the tower at 1386 feet height?

HINT: The plumb lines used in the construction of this tower point toward the center of earth. If you were to extend these lines from the base of the tower, to the center of earth and then again extend these lines up to a height of 1386 feet, they would form a virtual cone shape. Using the know circumference of the earth, and assuming an elevation of 20 feet above sea-level, you can determine the distance from the earth's center to the base of this tower. If anyone knows the exact height above sea-level, that this tower was constructed on, then please use that amount in your answer. The variation in height above sea-level will have vary little effect on the final answer. Thank you for your help. :)

My question is simple. Based on an estimated circumference of the earth, of 24,901 miles, Can anyone answer the following question, please?

The World Trade Center Tower #1, had a height of 1368 feet, and the base of the tower measured 2486” inches x 2486” inches. The tower was built using levels and plumb lines, which required each wall to remainperpendicular to the earth. As the tower is built, each floor is built plumb and level, on top of the floor below it. As the tower grows taller, each floor must grow slightly wider at the top, adhering to the plumb lines and levels. Based on the proposed curvature of earth, with each plumb line aiming toward the center of earth, what will be the expected difference between the base size (at ground level of 2486" x 2486"), and the size of the very top of the tower at 1386 feet height?

HINT: The plumb lines used in the construction of this tower point toward the center of earth. If you were to extend these lines from the base of the tower, to the center of earth and then again extend these lines up to a height of 1386 feet, they would form a virtual cone shape. Using the know circumference of the earth, and assuming an elevation of 20 feet above sea-level, you can determine the distance from the earth's center to the base of this tower. If anyone knows the exact height above sea-level, that this tower was constructed on, then please use that amount in your answer. The variation in height above sea-level will have vary little effect on the final answer. Thank you for your help. :)

Have you considered supplying a simple first guess at answering your simple question?

What's the circumference of this average diameter earth you have defined?
What would be the circumference if the average were 1,368 ft greater?

Why d'heck not use 24,900 :confused:
The whole problem is kinda silly...

It isn't silly. It is a fun math problem. I can figure it out on my own, but I just wanted to see if anyone here could get the answer in a timely manner. What is the point of your post?

Have you considered supplying a simple first guess at answering your simple question?

You answered my question with two more questions? I am sorry, I thought that I said the earth's "supposed" circumference in my original post. If I didn't then I am sorry. I will go re-read it. Are you having issues with coming up with a solution? I really am only hear to get help from people interested in Math. Is your reason for being here, not related to math?

I just read your post a second time. I see what you might mean. I can take the circumference of 24,901, determine the radius and then extend the radius by 1386 feet, take that new radius and determine the new circumference. Save the new circumference. Take the old width of the building, divide it by the old circumference, and take that number and multiply it by the new circumference. This will give me the new width of the building at the top (1368 feet).

Why did you not just answer the **** question? lol Cheers

It isn't silly. It is a fun math problem. I can figure it out on my own, but I just wanted to see if anyone here could get the answer in a timely manner. What is the point of your post?
The volunteer was offering sympathy to someone that he thought was a struggling student. Now we know that, for some reason, you’re posting odd “puzzlers” for which you already have a solution. (Note: It might have been helpful if you had provided this information in the first place.)

Now that you have advised that you are perfectly well able to do this on your own, we won’t be bothering you any more with sympathy, hints, or suggestions. But please do reply with your complete worked solution, for the edification of interested students.

And, for future “puzzle shares”, kindly please post to a puzzle-sharing site. By posting in an environment geared to what you’d intended to be doing, you will no longer have cause to be offended by fairly standard responses from volunteers who were giving of their time to help people. Thank you!

Why did you not just answer the **** question?
Because, as you read in the “Read Before Posting” announcement at the head of this topic, we are a tutoring-help site, not a “Cheeto” site. Just giving the answers to questions, [explitive deleted] or otherwise, is precisely what we do not do.

I apologize that this was not sufficiently clear to you, when you read the announcement before posting.