Universe Expansion Calculation: max initial dist from source that can be visited...

rdbooker1

The universe is expanding at 68k meters/second for every 1,000,000 lightyears from the focus. The math problem is to find the maximum initial distance from the source that can be visited from the source at light speed before universal expansion takes it out of reach.
The answer calculated by astronomers and published in Wikipedia is about 14.7 billion lightyears. The visible universe has about 45 billion lightyear radius but most is already out of reach. We are really lucky to be alive at a time when we can still see what has happened since the universe expanded 13.8 billion years ago, but we can not visit all of it.

Last edited:
The universe is expanding at 68k meters/second for every 1,000,000 lightyears from the focus. The math problem is to find the maximum initial distance from the source that can be visited from the source at light speed before universal expansion takes it out of reach.
How was the term "out-of-reach" defined?

are you looking for help, or are you just proposing a puzzle?

Expansion implies that you will never touch it.

You will always proceed but your goal will not be reached because expansion will take it further. My question was what can be reached, because I already know nothing further away can ever be reached.

lightspeed defines out-of-reach as expansion faster then lightspeed.

Since expansion is not matter-energy but space, space can and does expand faster than lightspeed. So when you see something because light from it reaches you, that doesn't mean you can visit it because the space between you and it can expand faster than you can move toward it. If the intervening space is expanding faster than you can cross it, then the destination is out of reach.

Universal expansion is real, I want to undestand its meaning.

If we want to visit one on the stars, we have to travel to get to it. I want to know which points I can visit if I travel at a give speed. I picked lightspeed because Einstein convinced me that is the max, but I would like to know what I can visit if I could travel forever at 70,000 miles/hr and many other speeds. I would like to know what the baseline distance might be.

The answer calculated by astronomers and published in Wikipedia is about 14.7 billion lightyears. The visible universe has about 45 billion lightyear radius but most is already out of reach. We are really lucky to be alive at a time when we can still see what has happened since the universe expanded 13.8 billion years ago, but we can not visit all of it.

using C=3x108 m/s

[3x108 /68x103] [1x106]=4.4x109 light yrs.

this assumes constant acceleration (as quoted; 68k m/s for every 1x106 light years distance), and the universe can expand at the speed of light.

where do they get 14.7?

expansion, unlike gravity, increases as distance increases

using C=3x108 m/s

this assumes constant acceleration (as quoted; 68k m/s for every 1x106 light years distance), and the universe can expand at the speed of light.

where do they get 14.7?
Red shift of galaxy light indicates that the universe is expanding faster than the speed of light. This is because new space also expands increasing the rate of change of distance. The rate of expansion is constant per unit of distance, but since distance increases, the total relative velocity of two specific objects increases. The 14.7 billion light years is the point of inflection where nearer objects can be visited and more distant objects can't be reached at lightspeed.

[FONT=&quot]As far as I can tell, the OP isn't asking a question, just making a statement. Yes, it is an interesting and perhaps sobering result that a good portion of (what is today) the Observable Universe will never be reachable by us, even in principle. You can thank the existence of this cosmic "event horizon" on the mysterious dark energy that is causing the expansion of the Universe to accelerate.[/FONT]

using C=3x108 m/s

where do they get 14.7?

Hi sinx. The answer to this is not short, but ok [deep breath], here goes:

sinx, your calculation doesn't work because you have treated the 68k number as being an acceleration when it clearly is not. Notice that it actually has dimensions of speed/distance = 1/time. To understand what this quoted parameter actually is, we need a toy model. Consider a 1D universe that is just an infinite ruler with markings at regular intervals (and a galaxy at each marking, if you like!). Suppose that initially these markings are 1 "unit" apart, but after one timestep (let's say one second) the amount of space between all the markings has doubled:

Code:
(t = 0) | | | | | | | | 

(t = 1) |   |   |   |   |   |   |   |

Let's say we, the observer, happen to be located at the leftmost marking in the above drawing. We notice something interesting. In one timestep, our nearest neighbour has receded from us by a distance of 2 units, so its apparent recessional speed is 2 units/second. However, the rightmost marking that has been drawn has appeared to move away from us by 14 units in the same interval of time. Its recessional velocity is 14 units/second! For this type of uniform expansion of space, then, it seems clear that the farther away an object is, the faster it appears to be receding away from you. Its recessional speed \(\displaystyle v\) is proportional to its distance \(\displaystyle d\). In fact the relation is given by

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle v = H_0 d\)

with the constant of proportionality being called Hubble's constant after the famous astronomer Edwin Hubble who discovered this relationship for distant galaxies in the 1920s. The typical speed/distance units used to express \(\displaystyle H_0\) (see below) seem weird: in SI it would just be 1/seconds. But they are chosen to be convenient given the characteristic recession speeds and distances of astronomical objects. Currently we think that:

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle H_0 \approx 70~\frac{\mathrm{km}/\mathrm{s}}{\mathrm{Mpc}}\)

So this is the change in recession speed in kilometres per second that occurs per megaparsec of distance. The original poster (OP) didn't quite get the units right. It's per megaparsec (Mpc) rather than per megalightyear (Mly). For those of you who don't know your SI prefixes, a megaparsec is one million parsecs. And a parsec is about 3.26 light years. Professional astronomers tend to use parsecs rather than light years to state distances, for reasons I won't get into right now. As another comment: the exact value of \(\displaystyle H_0\) depends on who you ask. Results from the Planck satellite (which observed the Cosmic Microwave Background radiation from 2009-2013) say 68 (km/s)/Mpc. Other results from observations of "standard candles" (distant astronomical sources of a known intrinsic brightness) like Cepheid variable stars and Type Ia supernovae, give a result that is more like 72 or 74 (km/s)/Mpc, and there is currently a roughly 3.6\(\displaystyle \sigma\) tension in the values of \(\displaystyle H_0\) obtained by these different cosmological probes. This is a mildly interesting/annoying problem in observational cosmology right now.

You might notice something very peculiar. If \(\displaystyle H_0\) really is constant, then the rate of change of the distance is proportional to the distance itself. This is a recipe for exponential growth! In other words, if the farther away you are, the faster you are receding, then obviously this will be a runaway effect. But do we really observe that? If so, why was it supposedly such a shock/surprise when scientists discovered that the expansion of the Universe was accelerating? By all media accounts, didn't they expect the expansion to be slowing, due to the mutual gravitational attraction of all the matter in the Universe? Yes. How can this be reconciled? By realizing that the Hubble constant is not actually a constant at all. It varies with time. It's only called a constant because, at any given moment, it is the same throughout space (i.e. the same for all observers). The actual equation involves the Hubble parameter \(\displaystyle H\):

\(\displaystyle v = H(t)d\)

which is a function of time, and which has always been expected to be decreasing with time. But, in accordance with Einstein's General Relativity (GR), things like the geometry and expansion rate of the Universe depend on its mass-energy content. If the mysterious "dark energy" (in the form of a cosmological constant in the Einstein field equations) were the only constituent of the Universe i.e. if there were no dark matter, no atomic matter, and no radiation (photons), then you can show from GR that \(\displaystyle H\) would be constant and there would be exponential growth (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Sitter_universe). In any case, \(\displaystyle H_0\) is just the present-day value \(\displaystyle H(t=t_0)\), where \(\displaystyle t_0\) is "now."

That brings me to the thorny issues of time and distance in an expanding Universe. You have to be very careful what you mean when you talk about time, because, if you've ever studied Special Relativity, you know that in 4D spacetime, which of the four spacetime coordinates is considered to be "time", is something that is different for different observers. So there is no universal notion of "all of space at a given moment in time" (i.e. there no single correct direction in which to take 3D spatial slices of the 4D spacetime). In cosmology, one convention, when we talk about time is to mean "cosmic time" which is proper time \(\displaystyle t\) as measured by "comoving observers" (observers who are simply being carried along with the expansion). Since the worldlines of these observers (i.e. their paths through spacetime) all intersect in only one spacetime location --- the initial singularity of the Big Bang --- there can be one spatial slicing that applies to all of them. They will experience time the same way.

Similarly, one has to be very careful what one means when talking about distance in the expanding Universe, because there are several ways to define it. A point brought up by the OP illustrates this nicely: the age of the Universe has been measured to be 13.8 billion years, so naively one would expect the longest distance out to which we are able to see to be 13.8 billion light years. Light from more distant objects would not yet have had time to reach us, so this radius would define the size of our Observable Universe. However, the distance to this boundary is actually 46 billion light years, because although the most-distant photons reaching us now have been travelling for ~13.8 billion years, the places they came from have moved away from us in the intervening time interval due to the expansion of the Universe. The physical distance to the boundary now is not the distance that you would infer from the light travel time.

The distance of 46 billion light years is an example of what cosmologists refer to as the proper (radial) distance \(\displaystyle r\). Loosely speaking, it is the distance you would measure if you could magically freeze the expansion, run a string out to the point in question, and then measure the length of the string. At this point I will introduce the very important concept of the scale factor \(\displaystyle a(t)\). This is the ratio of the distance between any two observers at time \(\displaystyle t\) to their distance now:

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle a(t) \equiv \frac{r(t)}{r(t_0)}\)

So if two galaxies are separated by a distance of 500 Mpc today (\(\displaystyle t = t_0\)), and if you go back to a time \(\displaystyle t\) in the Universe's history at which the scale factor was \(\displaystyle a(t) = 0.5\), then those galaxies would have been separated by only 250 Mpc at that time. If they are separated by only 100 Mpc today, then they would have been separated by 50 Mpc at that time. Thus the function \(\displaystyle a(t)\) encapsulates the dynamics of the expansion of the universe. In the future, the scale factor will be greater than unity. And although people say informally that \(\displaystyle H(t)\) is the "expansion rate" of the Universe, it's actually \(\displaystyle da/dt\) that is the expansion rate, while

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle H = \frac{1}{a}\frac{da}{dt}\)

I'll "prove this" in an Appendix below, but you can see from this relation why \(\displaystyle H\) was expected to be decreasing with time. The only way it wouldn't be was if the rate of change of scale factor was growing faster than (or at the same rate as) the scale factor itself (which can only be true in an accelerating Universe).

Another arguably much more convenient way to measure distance is called "comoving" distance \(\displaystyle \chi\), which is the distance between observers as measured using a coordinate grid that is expanding along with the expansion of space. Hence comoving distances between objects are fixed with time (assuming the objects' only relative motion is due to Hubble expansion). The definition of comoving distance is:

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \chi \equiv \frac{r(t)}{a(t)} \)

In other words, by convention, the comoving distance between two objects is just scaled to be equal to what their proper distance is today. So if two galaxies (with no relative motion in comoving coordinates) are separated by a proper distance of 500 Mpc today, their comoving distance has always been and will always be 500 Mpc.

With all of the above information in mind, we are finally in a position to answer the question of what is the distance that a photon, leaving today, can be coming from (or going to) such that it will never get there? All we have to do is calculate the comoving distance \(\displaystyle \chi\) moved by the photon as a function of time, and see if there is a value of \(\displaystyle \chi\) that it takes infinite time to get to. In a small time interval \(\displaystyle dt\), a photon will move a comoving distance given by

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle d\chi = \frac{dr}{a(t)} = \frac{cdt}{a(t)}\)

So, although the photon's rate of change of proper distance is constant (c), it's rate of change of comoving distance is decreasing with time, because points on the comoving grid that it is trying to get to continuously expand away from it. Not only that, but the rate at which these points move away from it is not constant, it is a function of time. So we have to integrate these small distance intervals from \(\displaystyle t = t_0\) to \(\displaystyle t = \infty\) to see if there is a maximum comoving distance that the photon can travel to in infinite time:

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \chi_\mathrm{max} = \int_{t_0}^\infty \frac{cdt}{a(t)}\)

For accelerating universes, this integral actually converges, meaning there are points the photon will never get to in infinite time i.e. there is a cosmic Event Horizon. This equation I derived above matches what is given here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmological_horizon#Event_horizon

except that they have generalized it to a photon starting at an arbitrary time \(\displaystyle t\), rather than at \(\displaystyle t_0\). As a result, the answer you get has to be scaled back by a factor of \(\displaystyle a(t)\) to convert it from a comoving distance into a "proper distance now".

Figuring out the form of \(\displaystyle a(t)\) is highly non-trivial. You have to solve a simplified form of the Einstein Field Equations of GR called the Friedmann Equations. I don't have time to get into that here, so I'll just direct you to this link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friedmann_equations

But the point is that the expansion history (and future) of the Universe depends on a bunch of parameters that go into these equations, including the average energy-density of the Universe's constituents such as dark energy, dark matter, atomic matter, and photons, and how each of these constituent densities evolve with time. These parameters have to be measured observationally by astronomers like me. I assume that the value of 14.7 billion light years quoted by the OP comes from some reasonably-recent set of measurements of these cosmological model parameters, although the event horizon Wikipedia article says it is more like 16 billion light years.

Appendix: "Proof" of the relation between \(\displaystyle H\) and \(\displaystyle a\)

Start with Hubble's equation \(\displaystyle v = Hd\), which can be written more precisely in terms of proper distance and cosmic time as:

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \frac{dr}{dt} = Hr\)

Substitute \(\displaystyle r = a\chi\) to express this in terms of comoving distance, remembering that comoving distance is fixed for comoving observers (so it comes outside the derivative):

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \chi\frac{da}{dt} = Ha\chi\)

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \frac{1}{a}\frac{da}{dt} = H\)

Last edited: