maths: 80,150,850, then blank, then 77,850, on other side, but dont know answer

ark24

hi,could some one help me with this for my son its 80,150,850, then blank then 77,850, on the other side but dont know what the answer is in the middle one with the question? can anyone help please much appreciate it :D

hi,could some one help me with this for my son its 80,150,850, then blank then 77,850, on the other side but dont know what the answer is in the middle one with the question? can anyone help please much appreciate it :D
What is the Grade that your son is studying now? What is the "topic" that brought this problem?

Were there any words along with the problem -- instructions, or a title, or a comment? Any other problems that might be at all related?

And was it written as just two large numbers, like "80,150,850 _________ 77,850", or as a sequence, "80, 150, 850, ___, 77, 850"?

Out of curiosity, I searched for the two numbers you gave, and found a question on another site four years ago that makes it clear that both of my guesses were wrong. The problem is, apparently,

Find the missing number: 80, 150, 850, ____, 77,850.

There are four given numbers, not two or five:

____

This sort of question should be taken as a puzzle, for which you can make a guess, but can't be sure that it matches the intention of the creator. But we can make a good guess here by thinking about what has been added to each term to get the next. Do you see it?

I greatly doubt that such problems should be given. I understand that they are supposed to develop pattern recognition. But the "correct" answer to these "problems" lies in the head of the question giver. Yes, humans look for patterns, but then, if we are scientific or mathematical, we test such patterns because many apparent patterns are spurious. "Problems" like this encourage kids to believe that patterns found in very small samples can reliably be extrapolated. No wonder kids given this sort of education end up believing in the mystic powers of crystals.