Consumption rate: Let's say I make crisps. I have a bag of 1459 potatoes that....

Twigboy

Hi all,
I have a maths problem that I have summarised:

Let's say I make crisps. I have a bag of 1459 potatoes that I use to make 2 sorts of potato crisp: ridged and plain crisps. All potatoes are the same size and I get the same number of crisps per potato every time.

I need to determine how many potatoes to allocate to my ridged crisp production; the remainder will be used for plain crisps. I consume potatoes at a constant rate: 1200 potatoes per year for ridged crisps, and 300 potatoes per year for plain crisps.

I need to continue production of plain crisps for 9months after I've run out of potatoes for ridged crisps.

Can you write a formula to predict how many potatoes to use for plain and ridged crisps at the start of the process?

Thanks,

Mike

It is better to give the actual wording of a homework problem than trying to summarize it. As it is, you seem to be trying to figure out how to make 1459 potatoes do the work of 1725. Can't be done, my friend.

Hi all,
I have a maths problem that I have summarised:

Let's say I make crisps. I have a bag of 1459 potatoes that I use to make 2 sorts of potato crisp: ridged and plain crisps. All potatoes are the same size and I get the same number of crisps per potato every time.

I need to determine how many potatoes to allocate to my ridged crisp production; the remainder will be used for plain crisps. I consume potatoes at a constant rate: 1200 potatoes per year for ridged crisps, and 300 potatoes per year for plain crisps.

I need to continue production of plain crisps for 9months after I've run out of potatoes for ridged crisps.

Can you write a formula to predict how many potatoes to use for plain and ridged crisps at the start of the process?

Thanks,

Mike

is this what you are asking for?

1459=100/mo (ridged) +25/mo (plain) + (9 mo)(25/mo) plain
1459-9(25)=125/mo (ridged and plain)
[1459-9(25)]/125=mos of both ridged and plain production

[@ 1475 potatoes it works out even.]