4/5 of a stick are under water; 6 ft are above water: find length of stick

Mike236

The answer key says the answer is 30 and I got 30 one way but it's definitely not the right way because it doesn't work on the next questions after it.

"Four-fifths of a stick are under water, and 6 feet are out of water: how long is the stick?"

The question after it reads

"There is a pole, three-fifths of which are in the earth, and 12 feet are in the air: how long is the pole?"

If I do the second question the way I did the first I get a number bigger than what the answer key says.

The answer key says the answer is 30 and I got 30 one way but it's definitely not the right way because it doesn't work on the next questions after it.

"Four-fifths of a stick are under water, and 6 feet are out of water: how long is the stick?"

The question after it reads

"There is a pole, three-fifths of which are in the earth, and 12 feet are in the air: how long is the pole?"

If I do the second question the way I did the first I get a number bigger than what the answer key says.
Please post work for both the problems. We can investigate properly.

In arithmetic, you can arrive at a "correct" answer following an "incorrect" path - due to combination of numbers and operations.

Why do you say that? It does work!

This is what I did

6 = 1/5
6 x the numerator (4) = 24
24 + 6 = 30

Next problem

12 = 2/5
12 ÷ 2 = 6
6 x 3 = 18
18 + 12 = 30

Last edited by a moderator:
This is what I did

6 = 1/5
24 + 6 = 30

Next problem

12 = 2/5
12 ÷ 2 = 6
6 x 3 = 18
18 + 12 = 30

Aside from the fact that your notation is so abysmal as to be almost indecipherable (and because of that, if I were grading this exercise, I'd not grade you very favorably), your methodology and answers are correct for both problems. Let's step through both step-by-step, clean up any errors, and see if we can't get a better feel for what's going on...

Clearly this is a bit of nonsense. As we all know, 6 is not the same number as 1/5, so we cannot say they are equal. Instead, what I'm sure you mean (though you absolutely need to specify this as part of writing your thought process and answers in a clear manner) is that 6 feet is 1/5 of the length of the stick.

And here we have even more nonsense. You reference "the numerator (4)" but you've not shown a fraction which has a numerator of 4. Instead, it would be more appropriate and accurate to write something like, "Since 6 feet is 1/5 of the length of the stick, it follows that 6 x 4 = 24 feet is 4/5 of the length of the stick."

24 + 6 = 30

Although this statement is technically true, it isn't clear how this bit of arithmetic relates to the problem at hand. Here I would say, "4/5 of the length of the stick plus 1/5 of the length of the stick is 5/5, or the total length, of the stick. I previously found that 1/5 of the length was 6 feet and 4/5 of the length was 24 feet, so the total length must be 24+ 6 = 30 feet."

And similarly for the second problem...

See the comments for the previous statement of this sort.

12 ÷ 2 = 6

Okay, so here you've noted that since 12 feet is 2/5 of the length of the pole, 6 feet is 1/5 of the length of the pole. That's a good, accurate deduction, though again I would write this out clearly, using English words and phrases if needed.

6 x 3 = 18

In the same manner, you've now deduced that 3/5 of the length of the pole is 18 feet. Very good.

18 + 12 = 30

As with the last problem, you've noted that 5/5 = 3/5 + 2/5, so the total length of the pole must be 18 + 12 = 30 feet.

Now, since your methodology checks out at every step along the way, the only possible conclusion is that the answer key which told you 30 feet is not the correct answer for problem 2 is wrong. Unfortunately, you should get used to this, as it is all too common for answers keys to be wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
I figured it out. I'm looking for how to delete this post.
At this help site, in general, that reason is not good enough to delete a thread. Future students will navigate to this thread, and those who make mistakes similar to yours may improve, by reading the replies.

PS: In the future, please post questions or comments about the forum on the Administrative Issues board. Thank you! :cool: