"Kathy collected Pokemon go creatures over the course of 5 days" (mean, median)

cozette12117

"Kathy collected Pokemon go creatures over the course of 5 days" (mean, median)

Kathy collected Pokemon go creatures over the course of 5 days

day 1....42
day 2....26
day 3....61
day 4....65
day 5....56

how many creatures would you expect Kathy to collect on day 6? explain

kathy collected creatures for 3 more days. the additional creatures had no effect on her average but the median increased by 1 creature.

what are the number of creatures she collected on the days

day 6,7,8

Kathy collected Pokemon go creatures over the course of 5 days

day 1....42
day 2....26
day 3....61
day 4....65
day 5....56

how many creatures would you expect Kathy to collect on day 6? explain

kathy collected creatures for 3 more days. the additional creatures had no effect on her average but the median increased by 1 creature.

what are the number of creatures she collected on the days

day 6,7,8

I'm not sure exactly what is expected of you; it would help if you showed what ideas you have, which might help us see what you are learning.

The first question has no one right answer; your explanation would be the important part. You might expect the next number to be around the mean or the median of previous numbers, or you might look for a trend and guess that the next would follow that trend. But you certainly wouldn't expect to guess the actual number very accurately.

As for the next three days, I don't think you can know what each of the numbers is (certainly not their order!), but you can say what one of them has to be (think about the median), and what their mean has to be. From that you can at least guess one possible set of three numbers. On the other hand, if "the number of creatures she collected on the days" means only the total over those three days, you can find that easily, based on what you know about the mean.

So, what ideas do you have? What results do you get when you try them?

I’m learning mean median etc. I put the numbers in order to get my mean but as far as making a prediction im honestly stumped. Im assuming I need an algebraic equation
I'm not sure exactly what is expected of you; it would help if you showed what ideas you have, which might help us see what you are learning.

The first question has no one right answer; your explanation would be the important part. You might expect the next number to be around the mean or the median of previous numbers, or you might look for a trend and guess that the next would follow that trend. But you certainly wouldn't expect to guess the actual number very accurately.

As for the next three days, I don't think you can know what each of the numbers is (certainly not their order!), but you can say what one of them has to be (think about the median), and what their mean has to be. From that you can at least guess one possible set of three numbers. On the other hand, if "the number of creatures she collected on the days" means only the total over those three days, you can find that easily, based on what you know about the mean.

So, what ideas do you have? What results do you get when you try them?

I’m learning mean median etc. I put the numbers in order to get my mean but as far as making a prediction im honestly stumped. Im assuming I need an algebraic equation

It sounds like you haven't learned anything very advanced, so for the first question they probably expect you to state either the mean or the median. What do you get for those?

For the second question, as I said I'm not sure what it means. If you didn't quote the problem exactly as given to you, word for word, please do so.

If you did, try doing what I suggested. Once you've stated the mean and median of the first three numbers, we can express one version of this question as follows:

Find 3 numbers such that, when they are appended to the data set 42, 26, 61, 65, 56, the mean is ___ and the median is ___.

Is that a kind of problem you have seen? There will not be a single correct answer, but you can find a possible answer. Please show me any thoughts you have about that. As I mentioned, you can easily see one number that should be one of the three.

Word for word

It sounds like you haven't learned anything very advanced, so for the first question they probably expect you to state either the mean or the median. What do you get for those?

For the second question, as I said I'm not sure what it means. If you didn't quote the problem exactly as given to you, word for word, please do so.

If you did, try doing what I suggested. Once you've stated the mean and median of the first three numbers, we can express one version of this question as follows:
Find 3 numbers such that, when they are appended to the data set 42, 26, 61, 65, 56, the mean is ___ and the median is ___.

Is that a kind of problem you have seen? There will not be a single correct answer, but you can find a possible answer. Please show me any thoughts you have about that. As I mentioned, you can easily see one number that should be one of the three.

i wrote question as teacher has in assignment...
the following question in assignment is about median. I already did that with the median as 56 mean is 50.
Not really sure what to use to solve the first question

i wrote question as teacher has in assignment...
the following question in assignment is about median. I already did that with the median as 56 mean is 50.
Not really sure what to use to solve the first question

As I suggested before, there is no one right answer. You might give 56 as your answer, explaining that that is a typical value based on the data so far. You could say the same about the mean. In any case, your answer is just a possible value, and not a real prediction. I wouldn't worry too much about it; ask your teacher if you are concerned.