Help with a Complex Equation: Solve 0.6 = 5547/x for x

Gabe

Hey there

Its been years since ive had a math class, and I need help figuring out this equation by solving for x

It is 0.6=5547/x

I ended up getting the problem to 0.6/1*x/5547 But I have gotten stuck at this point. What steps should I take to correctly solve this equation

It's been a while since I've had a college algebra course and I'm stuck on a particular problem that I need to solve, in order to figure out what I should pay for my first real-estate transaction.

I have my target ROI which is 6%/0.6. My second variable is my net income from the property, which is $5447. The equation to figure out what price I should pay for a property is 0.6 = 5447/x.

I have gotten it to 0.6/1 * x/5447, and I'm stuck on what I should do next to solve for x. Could anyone help me out?

Last edited by a moderator:
Its been years since ive had a math class, and I need help figuring out this equation by solving for x

It is 0.6=5547/x

I ended up getting the problem to 0.6/1*x/5547 But I have gotten stuck at this point. What steps should I take to correctly solve this equation
Suppose you were given:

a = b/x .......[where a and b are non-zero numbers]

then

a * x = b .... [multiply both sides by x]

x = b/a ..... [divide both sides by a]

and you are there.....

for a review of these steps go to : purplemath.com

Hey there

I have my target ROI which is 6%/0.6. My second variable is my net income from the property, which is $5447. The equation to figure out what price I should pay for a property is 0.6 = 5447/x.

I have gotten it to 0.6/1 * x/5447, and I'm stuck on what I should do next to solve for x. Could anyone help me out?

WHOAH. Back. Up. A. Step.

I assume that you mean that your target return on investment is 6% slash 0.6. Not 6% divided by 0.6.

If it was meant to be a slash, then we have a problem: 6% is NOT 0.6.

6% is 0.06. You are off by a factor of 10.

You want to earn $5447 per year in property value increase. That means that the principal value of the property must have been $5447/0.06 = $90,783.33

But that’s only the amount of return you’d expect after the first year. If the property value really increases at 6% per year (no idea how you are estimating this), then the dollar value you’d expect to earn would increase every year. It wouldn’t be fixed at $5447.

Please get better at arithmetic and finances, or seek professional help, before investing nearly 100 grand