Big matrix with a column of zeros

Phatfoo

I am trying to figure out what to do here. Can I simply rewrite the matrix, ignoring the column of zeros as if it weren't there?

Screenshot 2018-11-12 at 12.49.43.jpg

If I remove it, then I end up with a 3x5 matrix, and then my life becomes even more miserable.

I'm not looking for the answer. I'm just looking for advice on what to do here, if you don't mind.

I am trying to figure out what to do here. Can I simply rewrite the matrix, ignoring the column of zeros as if it weren't there?

View attachment 10478

If I remove it, then I end up with a 3x5 matrix, and then my life becomes even more miserable.

I'm not looking for the answer. I'm just looking for advice on what to do here, if you don't mind.

The determinant of a matrix is only defined for square matrices (ie same number of rows and columns). The matrix in the question is NOT a square matrix.

If you have a square matrix will a full row (or column) of zeroes, then its determinant is zero.

The determinant of a matrix is only defined for square matrices (ie same number of rows and columns). The matrix in the question is NOT a square matrix.

If you have a square matrix will a full row (or column) of zeroes, then its determinant is zero.

So, are you saying that this matrix has no determinant?

What does your text-book say?

Google the term "determinant of a matrix".

What do you find?

So, a determinant only applies to square matrices, which means this one has no determinant.

What confuses me is why it gives 5 marks for such a simple answer.

So, a determinant only applies to square matrices, which means this one has no determinant.

What confuses me is why it gives 5 marks for such a simple answer.

Possibly a misprint in the question. Maybe it's meant to have a 5th column. Who knows!

Just one other thing … you said that "
If I remove it, then I end up with a 3x5 matrix".

Actually it would be a 5x3 matrix. Watch the order when giving the dimension.