Freefall time including angular momentum (mass M is: t = (d^3/2GM)^1/2)

Alan Silverman

So the freefall time onto a point mass of mass M is: t = (d^3/2GM)^1/2 , what is the freefall time including angular momentum p = mvd, where, with constant m, v = 1/d if angular momentum is to be conserved, and the total force on a test particle at distance d is F = GM/d^2 - v^2/d?

Hello Alan Silverman!

This is a tutoring web site. We'd like to know more about your situation.

Please read this summary of the forum guidelines for new members. We look forward to a second post containing additional information, in this thread.

Thank you! :cool:

Hello Alan Silverman!

This is a tutoring web site. We'd like to know more about your situation.

Please read this summary of the forum guidelines for new members. We look forward to a second post containing additional information, in this thread.

Thank you! :cool:
My situation is that I used to study science years ago, and when I renewed my interest in a few problems, I found that I had forgotten most of what I had learned in order to be able to solve them. So I'm turning to your forum for help.

… I used to study science years ago … I renewed my interest …
Neat! Please follow our guidelines, and share what you already understand about the posted exercise. Tell us also what you've thought about and show what you've tried, so far.

These basic pieces of information help volunteer tutors understand where you're at. :cool:

Neat! Please follow our guidelines, and share what you already understand about the posted exercise. Tell us also what you've thought about and show what you've tried, so far.

These basic pieces of information help volunteer tutors understand where you're at. :cool:
Okay well, since v1xd1 = v2xd2, lets say v1xd1 = C so v=C/d and F = GM/d^2 - C^2/d^3. So setting up the equation is all I'm able to do. I don't know how to proceed from there.