Amount of CO2 emissions: sales rep who is on the road a lot drives 60,000km/year

abirhasan

[FONT=&quot]Dear altruists,

Can anyone help me to solve the following question:

A sales rep who is on the road a lot drives 60,000km a year, and a pensioner who makes short trips to run errands and to visit people drives 2,000km. How much carbon dioxide does each of them produce by driving if the consumption of petrol is 6kg per 100km and its carbon content (as mass fraction) is 85%? What amount of CO2 emissions would driving create if the Earth were inhabited[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot](a) by 7 billion sales reps or
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot](b) by 7 billion pensioners?
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Compare the results to the real CO2 emissions caused by the use of fossil fuels, which total 9.5Gt per year when converted into carbon.

Thank you in advance![/FONT]

Hello abirhasan!

This is a tutoring web site. We'd like to know more about your situation.

Please read this summary of the forum guidelines for new members. We look forward to a second post containing additional information, in this thread.

Thank you! :cool:

Thank you for your message.

I have one course called climate change and there we are solving some math problems related with climate change!

I tried to solve it, but coulnd't :(

Any kind of help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear altruists,

Can anyone help me to solve the following question:

A sales rep who is on the road a lot drives 60,000km a year, and a pensioner who makes short trips to run errands and to visit people drives 2,000km. How much carbon dioxide does each of them produce by driving if the consumption of petrol is 6kg per 100km and its carbon content (as mass fraction) is 85%? What amount of CO2 emissions would driving create if the Earth were inhabited

(a) by 7 billion sales reps or

(b) by 7 billion pensioners?

Compare the results to the real CO2 emissions caused by the use of fossil fuels, which total 9.5Gt per year when converted into carbon.

Thank you in advance!

I'll give you a general idea of what to do. I'll focus on the sales rep.

I would first gather information so I can see it all easily:

Drives 60,000 km each year
Uses 6 kg of petrol per 100 km
85% of petrol is carbon
Suppose there are 7 billion of them

We want to find the total amount of carbon released, which will be in kg, and then converted to Gt.

I would then make a chain of these facts, ordering them and restating them to make the relationships clear:

7 billion people
Each drives 60,000 km
Each 100 km uses 6 kg of petrol
Each kg of petrol contains 0.85 kg carbon

Can you see how to combine these facts to get what you want?

Now you can either state where you are uncertain, or show your work so we can see if you are right. (Ideally, do both.)