Test Statistic for Proportion: 31% of all traffic related deaths were alcohol-related

Frosty

Sup everyone, first post.

4) According to the CDC, 31% of all traffic related deaths were alcohol-related. A sheriff notices that, among the 44 traffic deaths in her county in the past 3 years, 21 were alcohol-related. She is worried that alcohol is a bigger problem in her county than in the nation.
Part A: Using the null hypothesis that traffic deaths in her county are 31% likely to be alcohol-related, she creates a sampling distribution with n=44, p=.31 and SE=0.070. What is the probability that 21 or more of the 44 fatalities are likely to be alcohol-related due to chance?
a) 0.32
b) 0.25
c) 0.05
d) 0.01

I know that you first find the z score by using formula
[FONT=MathJax_Math-italic]Z[FONT=MathJax_Main]=[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Math-italic]p[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]ˆ[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]−[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Math-italic]p[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]0[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Math-italic]p[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]0[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main] [/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Math-italic]q[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]0[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Math-italic]n[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]−[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]−[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]−[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]−[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Size2]√[/FONT][/FONT]ddd
I know the p hat is .477 and the SE or denominator is .070(duh). What I want to know is how to find the p0 or the hypothesized value?

Thanks in advance.

Sup everyone, first post.

4) According to the CDC, 31% of all traffic related deaths were alcohol-related. A sheriff notices that, among the 44 traffic deaths in her county in the past 3 years, 21 were alcohol-related. She is worried that alcohol is a bigger problem in her county than in the nation.
Part A: Using the null hypothesis that traffic deaths in her county are 31% likely to be alcohol-related, she creates a sampling distribution with n=44, p=.31 and SE=0.070. What is the probability that 21 or more of the 44 fatalities are likely to be alcohol-related due to chance?
a) 0.32
b) 0.25
c) 0.05
d) 0.01

I know that you first find the z score by using formula z = (p^ - p0)/sqrt(p0 q0 /n).

I know the p hat is .477 and the SE or denominator is .070(duh). What I want to know is how to find the p0 or the hypothesized value?

Thanks in advance.

The hypothesized value is the value that is hypothesized: that is, the value that is supposed for the sake of comparison.

The null hypothesis here would be that p equals the currently accepted value, 31%. The alternate hypothesis is what is being asked: is p actually greater than that?

So what you are calling p0 is what they have called p in the problem statement.

Here is a typical explanation of the process. Note that they use the name p0 as you did, and they define it as the value used in the null hypothesis. In their example, the null hypothesis is that the proportion is 0.5, so that is the p0 they use.